Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Xbox One Backwards Compatibility

1. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I’d be careful with playing games on OLED. I’d heard about burn-in on OLED, and it was earler this week that I’d witnessed it on a couple of LG OLED displays at Fry’s. They had the LG image burned in the screen from running in demo mode.
    A demo that is on all friggin day. I’ve had an lg oled for over a year and have zero burn in issues. I’ve gamed on it for hours at a time.

Never had issues with my Plasma either.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

2. I didn’t believe it either, but I have seen it on Plasma a well. The LG image only showed on screen for a minute or 2 before it went on to displaying 4K images. I’d just be concerned about playing extended sessions of a game with a constant image (score) that could eventually cause that.
    Last edited by gamevet; 06 Dec 2018 at 07:23 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I didn’t believe it either, but I have seen it on Plasma a well. The LG image only showed on screen for a minute or 2 before it went on to displaying 4K images. I’d just be concerned about playing extended sessions of a game with a constant image (score) that could eventually cause that.
    I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve played games with static’s huds for hours.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

4. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I’d be careful with playing games on OLED. I’d heard about burn-in on OLED, and it was earler this week that I’d witnessed it on a couple of LG OLED displays at Fry’s. They had the LG image burned in the screen from running in demo mode.
    An OLED TV by LG has suffered some burn-in from a 4,000 hour test. Rtings did this test, which was based on a cycle simulating casual viewing patterns (5 hours on & 1 hour off, 4x a day). So much for LG's claim that it can go to 30,000 with no burn-in.

One of the commenters on this video's Youtube page swears off buying any more OLEDs because of it. He did no gaming with it, nor was any channel kept on for more than 2 hours at once. Anyway after about 10 months his $3,000 LG OLED started suffering burn-in.

5. https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#6e475eca363d

First, Sony upset owners of its OLED TVs earlier in the year (as reported here) by introducing via firmware a new picture dimming algorithm that kicked in distractingly aggressively if a static image component - such as a gaming HUD - was onscreen for around a minute. Sony confirmed that this was a deliberate move. And while the brand has since tweaked the update to make it less distracting, the point behind it was surely an attempt to minimize the risk of screen burn affecting its OLED TVs.
    This made me think that either Sony was reacting to actual cases of screen burn in their own test environments or actual consumer reports, or else they were acting on advice from LG Display, the manufacturer responsible for pretty much all the world’s TV-sized OLED panels.

Next, LG also upset buyers of its 2018 OLED TVs recently by releasing a new firmware update to its most recent generation of OLED TVs that increased the extent and speed with which bright images were dimmed down (as covered here). LG has confirmed to me that this ‘intended to reduce consumer discomfort in situations where temporary image retention can occur in certain viewing conditions’.

Also worth noting here is that LG introduced a new feature for its 2018 OLED TVs that can dim the brightness of static picture elements without impacting the rest of the picture.

All of these measures suggest that screen burn is indeed still considered to be an issue by OLED TV makers. In fact, with such new anti-retention/anti-screen burn measures seeming to appear increasingly often in recent times when OLED TVs have been around for years, it’s hard not to think that the flurry of activity has something to do with the growing influence of high dynamic range video (which delivers a much wider brightness range) and the resulting need to make OLED TVs run more brightly.

Another relatively recent development that’s made raised screen burn’s profile of late is the most recent test for the problem by online tech testing site, Rtings.

This is actually Rtings’ second stab at measuring how much of a problem screen burn on OLED TVs is, but I kind of dismissed the first one, as its methodology didn’t feel ‘real world’ enough. The latest test, though, seems more sensible in its approach - and suggests that the latest OLED TVs can suffer with screen burn after as little as 4,000-5,000 hours of use.
    Last edited by gamevet; 07 Dec 2018 at 01:14 AM.

6. Maybe he turned his picture/contrast to 150%.

7. The displays with CNN on them do look like they have the contrast cranked up.

8. I haven't noticed any burn-in on my original OLED PS Vita screen, luckily. I usually play it 2 hours or less at a time, & not every day.

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters
    Maybe he turned his picture/contrast to 150%.
    This wouldn't surprise me.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real...d-burn-in-test (link to Rtings' burn-in-test from the Forbes article quoted by gamevet)
    CNN really slammed it. On the uniformity photos, burn-in is noticeable at the 44 weeks mark with even minimum brightness (200 nits) but gets really bad at 380 nits max brightness. Set the color to red or magenta & it really shows up.

9. Yeah, I got mild burn-in in under a year on old phones I had. My OnePlus 6 seems to be faring better, but that's probably partly because Android is a lot less contrasty these days.

LCD panels have gotten so good that OLED's advantages don't make as much sense to me anymore for TVs. I have a pretty cheap 2018 TV and the contrast on it is fantastic, especially on the low end (doesn't quite get those ultra-brights in HDR content like a high end TV, but the blacks are lovely).

10. I was really surprised at the current crop of TVs when I went shopping this year. The LCDs that are marketed just under OLED look great, and the cheap stuff still looks great with a worse viewing angle.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!