Thread: Outer Worlds - A Spiritual Successor to Fallout New Vegas from Obsidian (PC, PS4, XBO)

1. Outer Worlds - A Spiritual Successor to Fallout New Vegas from Obsidian (PC, PS4, XBO)

The rumors proved true, and we got our first look at Obsidian's new game last night, Outer Worlds. It seems very much like a direct stab at Fallout, with a retro-futuristic setting (in this case a kind of buck-rogers-era space fronteir), and FPS/open-world RPG gameplay.

And the timing couldn't be better. Fallout 76 is one of the most high-profile disasters we've had for a major series, and even Fallout 4 was largely regarded as a step down, so there's a big opportunity for Obsidian to succeed where Bethesda has not.

2. I don't know what to make of this game play. The combat seems a little slow and the game seems very dialog heavy.

3. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I don't know what to make of this game play. The combat seems a little slow and the game seems very dialog heavy.
    Yeah, like Fallout. That's the point.

4. I did not get a Fallout vibe from that. The world was too colorful, the enemies too out of this world and the interaction was more like Mass Effect. The game looks like worlds of No Man’s Sky got dropped into a Mass Effect game.
    Last edited by gamevet; 10 Dec 2018 at 08:58 AM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I did not get a Fallout vibe from that. The world was too colorful, the enemies too out of this world and the interaction was more like Mass Effect. The game looks like worlds of No Man’s Sky got dropped into a Mass Effect game.
    And yet, we have a retro-futuristic art style, set in a wild and untamed new land, with a tongue-in-cheek tone, a lot of dialog trees, and strategic FPS combat that allows you to slowdown time.

Yeah, it's set on a colorful alien world, but it's very clear to me that they are intending this to be their answer to Fallout.

6. Sorry, but it looks more like it was influenced by Mass Effect, than the post nuclear (50’s sci-fi) world of Fallout.

7. New Vegas was the best of the new gen of Fallout, I'm pretty excited about this game.