Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Moments in Games

1. The wonder I felt when Mortal Kombat first showed up in my local arcade. The digitized actors blew me away at the time and the sound on that machine boomed over everything else in the arcade! The arcade scene was so cool to grow up with. A new machine would just randomly show up and melt minds.

I just had my last Midway arcade experience that I always wanted to have when I FINALLY got to play The Grid recently! It was definitely a fun time and would've been great to experience back in the day playing against other arcades with fully networked machines.

System Shock 2 twist got me good.

Rad Spencer shooting a rocket into Hitler's helicopter and his head blowing up in Bionic Commando aka Nazi no Bouken Jima.

Pretty much all of Sin and Punishment the first time I played it.

Baby metroid saving Samus from MB, but even better Pepelogoo doing the same thing in MW4.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Low View Post
    -Exiting the ruins in PSO into a serene meadow.
    I almost posted about that. You're in this big field and the sun is shining overhead. Then all of a sudden the sky turns black as Dark Falz makes its presence known.

4. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I almost posted about that. You're in this big field and the sun is shining overhead. Then all of a sudden the sky turns black as Dark Falz makes its presence known.
    The DC was the kind of leap for console 3D that environment details like this had more impact. Stuff like Shemnues many details, the insane citiscapes of JGR, the awe of the weather effects in Le Mans, cruising through real world cities 24 hours a day in MSR. Great times.

This thread makes me miss what Phantasy Star used to be. Those games always had "holy shit!" moments.

6. The first time I played Outrun in the sit down arcade cabinet, I knew it was special. The graphics, music, control and simulated motion were nothing like I have ever experienced in a racing game. I can still sit down and play the original arcade game and not get bored. Outrun is easily my favorite arcade game of all time, if only my house is bigger, I would hunt down one of these sit down cabs.

7. Crisis Zone- There's always plenty of stuff in the background to get shattered by your stray fire while you're laying into terrorists with a machine gun. Also... not even one damned innocent bystander to worry about tagging by accident. The stage 3 boss battle against Tiger & Edge is amazing. Tiger swings a ladder at you like it's a baseball bat, then throws it. Edge flies around tossing blades (which you can shoot out of the air in the arcade, but don't try it on PS2 because then they're too fast). The jackhammering recoil of the arcade's gun is awesome, & there's the pedal/dodge feature of other Time Crisis games.

Metal Slug- The first one is probably the best. Sgt. O'Neill's last gasp of "See you in hell!" is epic. So is watching an end stage boss get reduced to 2 tons of smoking wreckage. Some of the sequels don't exactly get what is so good about the original. MS4 almost totally misses the target.

Gunforce II/GeoStorm- Definitely the predecessor of the MS series. This is how the dual-wielding from Metal Slug 4 onward should've been done. I actually like GF2's soundtrack more than MS. The 1st stage BGM really gets you in the mood to start wrecking stuff.

Heretic II- Not a FPS like the first one, but still very good & atmospheric with some haunting BGM. The pole vault jumpkick is a cool move- not just for combat, but also for getting more distance to clear otherwise impossible jumps. Sadly a sequel seems unlikely, because Raven owns development rights (they've been relegated to nothing but assisting with Call of Duty games now) & id Software owns publishing rights. Let's hope ZeniMax buys out Raven's interest.

Dreamcast console- Getting a near-perfect port of Virtua Fighter 3, Street Fighter III's first time on a home system, SoulCalibur with much improved graphics, & House of the Dead 2. More than a few arcade titles from the Naomi made it over as well.