Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minotaur Arcade V.1

1. Minotaur Arcade V.1

Minotaur Arcade Volume 1 hit PC today and it's pretty fantastic. Goat Up is cute enough but Gridrunner is one of the zone-iest shooters I can recall. Gridrunner is also one of the few VR-supporting games I can think of where I bounce back and forth between monitor and headset, primarily because when you play fullscreen (hit the F1 key at any time, because intuitive UI is not a Llamasoft skill-set) the mouse control is perfect. So much of the game is tuned around small things, like the moment of invulnerability you get from picking up a power-up, that it feels much deeper than the voxel shatter-fest it looks like on the surface.

2. Goat Up is not really my thing. A cute distraction at most. Gridrunner is very good, but maybe not as good as the iOS version, which I really wish had a solid port elsewhere. But since it doesn't playing it in VR with 90s hip-hop music video fisheye projection is interesting enough.

Polybius is out as well. It really does feel like Blaster on DMT. I have no idea how to play the damn game though.

3. Polybius is actually pretty simple- go through gates to fly and shoot faster. Don't bash into stuff. Gates give you a very short-term shield but with a bit of chaining you can keep the defenses up longer. New enemies introduce new behaviors that it's up to the player to figure out. For the life of me I had no idea what the ring-shots that homed in on me were for before finally realizing they were a bullet shot by a specific enemy that, once the star was shot out of the center, turned into homing-rings that give a speed boost when collected. Which sounds complicated until actually playing, at which point it makes perfect videogamey sense.

Also, pills are power-ups, shoot them to have them home in on you.

Also-also, on later levels you can look into the distance and see gates and other necessary items fall from the sky into the distant level and use that to target them more effectively.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Goat Up is not really my thing. A cute distraction at most. Gridrunner is very good, but maybe not as good as the iOS version, which I really wish had a solid port elsewhere.
    There is a Android port of Gridrunner available on the Llamasoft donate page that's free to download. It's very similar to the iOS version.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Brianvgplayer View Post
    There is a Android port of Gridrunner available on the Llamasoft donate page that's free to download. It's very similar to the iOS version.
    It is, but the control accelleration is a bit broken, which makes it tough for me to enjoy as much.

6. Weird, I absolutely see this version of Gridrunner as better than the iOS version. Then again, I don't get along with touch controls at all.

7. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Weird, I absolutely see this version of Gridrunner as better than the iOS version. Then again, I don't get along with touch controls at all.
    The iPad version of Gridrunner is probably my favorite of all versions. but I'm still getting used to this one, I played maybe 20 minutes. I'm going to give it some more time tonight

8. Yeah, a couple hours on and I really like Gridrunner. One of their best, at least in terms of gameplay. I'm enjoying it more than Tempest 4000, to be honest, even if the latter is prettier and has that great soundtrack.

GoatUp is just a bonus feature more or less. I would never buy it on its own but Gridrunner justifies the purchase either way.

9. Yeah, I view this release as the videogame version of a single. Gridrunner is the hit and Goat Up the B side.

10. Gridrunner is fast becoming one of my favorite Llamasoft Llamasoft games, period. It has none of the nice neon and plasma psychedelia and edm soundtrack (or indeed any music at all), but in terms of raw gameplay, it really manages to balance Minter's trademark chaos with feeling fair and like I know what's happening and it's incredibly addictive. It's a balance between the classic arcade sensibilities of the 8-bit games and the clusterfuck zone shooter madness of their later stuff and it really works.

Polybius is fun and feels great in VR but it hasn't clicked with me in that way where I just have to keep playing one more time.