Thread: Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (PS4)

1. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox (PS4)

Falcom is readying Ys IX: Monstrum Nox for 2019. While I'd prefer XSeed, I guess NISA is probably going to get this. Let's hope the translation doesn't take so long as it did for Ys VIII, & that it's good from Day One rather than needing a fix later.

Ys IX will be set within the "prison city" of Barduk. Monstra, people with supernatural abilities, are a big part of the plot. Wait... where is Adol? The promotional art features a different character armed with a pistol. I'm thinking that may be your main character at first, while you have to go find Adol as maybe your 2nd/3rd party member.

https://www.rpgsite.net/news/8113-fa...2019-for-japan (promotional art shown)
    https://www.falcom.co.jp/ys9/

Quote Originally Posted by Falcom
    Official story blurb:
    Who are the “Monstrum” that have appeared in the city? What is the secret behind “Prison City?” And what of that redheaded adventurer Adol Christin?

Prologue:
    Becoming someone that is not yourself. Have you ever seen that dream?
    I am thinking inside that dream. Is this myself or not?
    Is the dream a reality, or is the reality a dream? The answer that I finally arrived at is terribly simple.
    "Either way is good, isn't it"
    It's not a matter of which one is the truth. Both of them are truths.

~Text from "Barduk's Cage"

2. I'm currently playing through Ys VIII right now and it's insanely good, but I'll wind up playing this regardless of how big of a departure it is.

3. I'm ready for more Ys. Hopefully it won't be 2021 before we play this stateside.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

4. It's going to be tough for this to top Ys VIII, but I look forward to seeing where they take this series next.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    I'm ready for more Ys. Hopefully it won't be 2021 before we play this stateside.
    Agreed. I can understand Trails of Cold Steel III not coming out until probably sometime in 2019, but being Ys, this shouldn't have nearly so much text to translate. Celceta & Lacrimosa both took a little over a year from the original Japan release.

6. Some more info.

https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/10...99967236841473

Excerpts from an interview w/ Falcom's Kondo-san on Ys IX (1/3)
    -The subtitle Monstrum Nox (Monsters' Night) is the concept itself
    -With a metropolis as the stage, we take elevation differences in mind when creating
    -Grassfields, forests, & ruins are still here just like before
    -In the era after Ys VII, IX will have appearance of the oldest Adol so far. He becomes known everywhere as an adventurer
    -Party battles & simple controls are still here
    -Has Superpower Actions based on Monstrum's supernatural abilities. Can run on walls or move as a shadow
    -Guild Management system is based on the prequel's Drifting Village while being extended for this game
    -The woman in the image illustration will be a key character
    -Current dev progress is 50%
    http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/16609
    Where I play
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

7. Some more info thanks to Gematsu https://gematsu.com/2018/12/ys-ix-fe...54wmCTSfbB3.99

Adol is the protagonist.
    Adol’s name has become known all over the world since Ys VI. The increase in the amount of people that know of Adol is one of the highlights of the game.
    While there is a possibility that characters from past games will appear, they will serve a more minor role.
    As for the reason Adol comes to the Prison City, it is highly likely he got wrapped up in something based on his previous behavior pattern.
    The right arm of the woman in the key visual is artificial. She is a guide in this game. She is also the same woman that appeared on the countdown website.
    There are characters that becamse non-human Monstrum for certain reasons.
    The dream mentioned in the prologue is unrelated to Ys VIII‘s Dana dreams.
    You can climb onto and move across rooftops.
    You will be able to play as Monstrum during the course of the game.
    There is also flying-esque floating, as well as aerial state actions.
    Magic items have been abolished and will be consolidated into Supernatural Actions.
    The adventuring gear that appeared in Ys VIII will also disappear. Since there are too many items and categories, the plan is to organize such elements together.
    They would like map-making to stay. They also want to include fishing, but various elements have come up that are under consideration.
    Where I play

8. Where I play