Thread: Cringecore

1. Cringecore

I watched Splash. I like it, it’s 80’s royalty and a highlight of John Candy’s career, but is it not also part of that trope of Adam Sandler, loser-boy-is-gifted-with-magic-prize-woman-with-no-effort-on-his-part movies that culturaly damaged a generation of boys left with TVs as role models espousing terrible courting advise?

Click for full size
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. A lot of the movies from that era are like that, or worse. Like that scene in Revenge of the Nerds where the one nerd dresses up in the Darth Vader knock-off costume that the hot cheerleader's boyfriend was originally wearing and only reveals his identity after he bangs her. I had no idea watching that as a kid that this was a straight-up rape scene, but it's horrifying now.

And apparently the cheerleader didn't care that she just had surprise sex, as the nerd's superior lovemaking skills caused her to immediately fall in love with him. So it all worked out.

3. "She was a great broad, I tell ya, but man... the smell!"
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

4. I don’t want to sound like an old prude, but no where was it expressly acknowledged these things are wrong, so an impressionable young mind would think “hey this is normal and funny!”
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. Those movies were a product of their time, and the scenes were actually funny then. On the other hand, fuck that time. It's embarrassing to admit that it never occurred to me there was a problem with those scenes.

6. No need to take it seriously, it's Fantasy, it's make believe. I was told movies weren't real since I first saw a movie. The born-yesterday fish-woman is not reality. People don't fall in love at first sight, the girl scout at the door doesn't suck your dick, but in the world of make believe it happens.
    Here's a grown woman propositioning a child because it's fun:
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

7. It’s still funny. Hell, it’s even better now knowing how wrong it is. Dunlap is right.