Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 791011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2019: Would You Buy That for a Dollar?

Not a bad order.

Playing a series and then ranking them is super satisfying.

2. You might have cracked the secret code to Mega Man 20.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    4. Trials Rising (PC)

This game is easily my favorite in the series, taking the place of Evolution without a second glance behind it. Each track (there are 117) feels so damn good, with awesome lines and really nice details. The easy tracks were not a chore to get through, they were ALL fun this time around. The inclusion of the Trials Academy was a really smart idea and one I'm surprised didn't make it into the game before. At first I skipped over the little intro movies and then I decided that I don't know it all and should listen, and when I did I became much better at the game. Things I "knew" how to do before but actually just thought I knew were now explained, and then you're given the time to figure it out and do it yourself before attempting it in a track. Holy crap it worked wonders, and I feel anyone playing THIS game will be much much better than they were at any previous Trials game because of it. That said, the A+ ranks are not easy to obtain in the later lessons, but then again they kind of are since the game literally shows you how to do them as you're trying to. It's just done right. On top of that the skill games are actually fun this time around, and save for the final 3 I got gold or better on all of them. Theres a new medal above Platinum to shoot for, Diamond, and at this time I only got 1 of those on one of the skill games. You've got to be fucking TIGHT to get that new medal. I hit gold or better on all base tracks besides Inferno V which I need to play again. Also managed to 0 fault an Extreme track which always feels so damn good. The extremes are the best bunch of any game or DLC so far IMO, feeling both more accessible and challenging at the same time. I can't think of a single track I didn't enjoy, and that's a testament to Redlynx knowing it's player base. The inclusion of loot boxes is forgivable since it's only for cosmetic stuff, and I was able to get a Praise the Sun pose for my character so I'm stoked. The track editor (which I have not used but I never did in the other games either) has ALL the pieces from EVERY Trials game previous, which means the community is going to be making incredible tracks for years to come. Private, Party and regular MP are all available, but the one time I tried for an online match no one was around (really, on a Saturday afternoon during release week?) The bikes feel like they ride a little better, especially when using things like the Donkey which was always just a dumb thing before but now feels FUN to ride. Overall this game is just so fucking good. I put 20 hours in the first week before I finished everything, and now it's time to go back and beat Kumobuo who has been stealing the high scores from me. Ended week 1 in the top 2% and I hope to keep it there through perseverance and continual improvement. Very excited for whatever else they release for this game, and for finding all 60 Squirrels (I found 3 during my normal play). Can't recommend this enough, especially since it would give me more ghosts to compete against!
    I picked this up as well. It's fun, but I'm lukewarm on it for a couple reasons:

1) It has some serious progression pacing issues of the sort that seems transparently motivated to press microtransactions. There are some walls where it's very difficult to progress to the next content unlock without a ton of grinding. Of the two unlockable vehicles (and missions that come with them) the game seems carefully designed to make sure you only have enough for one or the other, making it impossible to get the second without a microtransaction. I have gotten golds on all the game's tracks and completed all the missions and I am still several levels away from unlocking the final arena.

2) The soundtrack is fucking godawful. There are like 6 songs and they all just seem like a high schooler's playlist from 2004.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I picked this up as well. It's fun, but I'm lukewarm on it for a couple reasons:

1) It has some serious progression pacing issues of the sort that seems transparently motivated to press microtransactions. There are some walls where it's very difficult to progress to the next content unlock without a ton of grinding. Of the two unlockable vehicles (and missions that come with them) the game seems carefully designed to make sure you only have enough for one or the other, making it impossible to get the second without a microtransaction. I have gotten golds on all the game's tracks and completed all the missions and I am still several levels away from unlocking the final arena.

2) The soundtrack is fucking godawful. There are like 6 songs and they all just seem like a high schooler's playlist from 2004.
    I'm guessing you mean the Helium and Donkey as the unlockables, since the Rhino and Mantis are locked by level and the Tandem is... whatever. I unlocked the Helium first as I have loved the bike since they included it, but I really only used it when going back to tracks to complete missions. I think this may be the grinding you were mentioning, and yeah at some point unless you're getting diamonds on each new run you'll probably have to go back to a track or two to get yourself to the next rider level to unlock X track. But between the Trials Academy and Skill Games (both of which get you XP) I never had to "grind" on missions on tracks more than a few minutes before reaching the next level I needed to unlock tracks. So I kind of see your point but also not really, as Trials games are about doing the levels over and over until you've got them down pat and can do a solid no fault run to move up the leaderboards. During the course of running a level a few times you should rack up incredible amounts of XP and currency (whatever it's called) and have enough to buy all the bikes and accessories you want for them before you reach the final content. If you're running out of "money" just open some loot boxes and sell the duplicate shit you get. I had all my bikes purchased and fully maxed with the pieces I wanted before hitting the extreme tracks. I don't even know what kinds of microtransactions are available, but I wouldn't have needed them at any time to progress. You aren't missing out on using the Donkey if you don't get it until the very end, you won't be setting your best score with it on any track.

And nothing tops Evolution's soundtrack, I've been playing with sound effect at 100% and music at 0% since Fusion now, just put your own playlist on and enjoy.

Unravel Two
    Like the first one, it's a super charming and not too stressful puzzle platformer that fans of games like Out of this World and Limbo should try. I wasn't sure if I would like the new character switching mechanic but it grew on me after the initial learning curve. Maybe I'm just used to it but I think the swinging physics have been improved. I wouldn't say this game is better than the first but it's well worth playing.

6. 5. Devil May Cry 5

I loved this. Probably dethroning my former favorite of 'em (the original). The presentation is nuts, with this insane amount of detail in all of the environments and especially the characters, and to see all of this acting in total sincere service of... Nero spinning through the air in slow-motion to that Devil Trigger song? It's beautiful. The three playable characters help keep the game plenty varied. Nero is as cool as he was in DMC4, with the satisfying rhythm-sword mechanics and the super-cool throw animations. Dante is full Late Tony Hawk syndrome, with every mechanic he's ever had just smashed into one game. And the newcomer, V, is super unique and has you remote-controlling a few demons at once. Unlike DMC3, the game's cast of enemies is fun to fight throughout and rarely feel like complete punching bags, and the bosses are a step up from any other game in the series. The late game stuff even gave me flashes of Ninja Gaiden! And to top it all off, the harder of the two difficulty levels they give you right at the start is pretty sufficiently spicy provided you don't use revival options. I can't wait for Bloody Palace, and I'm definitely gonna have to play the harder difficulties down the line.

6. Ape Out

This is a short Hotline Miami sort of game, but the mechanics are more elegant, the checkpoints are a liiiittle bit more spaced out, the visuals are this perfect execution of a Saul Bass title card look, and the player actions feed into an excellent dynamic jazz soundtrack. There's some pretty neat stuff unlocked as you go, too, including a tense arcade mode that I'd like to dig into a bit.
    Last edited by Tain; 18 Mar 2019 at 01:15 AM.

7. Bought a new Vita cuz my oled model died. Got an aqua blue slim. Looking forward to restarting MGS HD collection and FFX.

I'm playing through RE4 on ps4. Going through Separate Ways.
    Last edited by Headphone Actor; 18 Mar 2019 at 02:40 PM.

8. Where can you get a new Vita nowadays?
    Maybe it's just a Canada thing, but I haven't seen one at retail or even online for several years.

They're gone from retail now, but you can still find em online. They aren't cheap though. If you look in the right places you can still get a Japanese one new without paying too much of a premium, and the system is region free so it's no problem to do that. You could buy slims from Amazon for MSRP up till very recently (I almost bought one last year) but it looks like it's just third party sellers selling them now.

10. As soon as sony announced they weren’t making any more, the amazon sellers raised their prices from like $220 to $350