Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2019: Would You Buy That for a Dollar?

1. Is the JPN version easier without WD's tweaks? I am curious to try it out because I remember the US/WD version pretty tough (especially in the beginning).

Yes, WD made most of the games more difficult when they brought them over. The notes say:

* All enemies have their stats restored to what they were in the Japanese version.
    * The formula that calculates damage from passive hazards (lava, spikes, etc.) has been reverted to its original form.
    * Items now cost (and sell for) what they did in the Japanese version.

It's been too long for me to remember exactly how hard the original was, but if I recall correctly it wasn't so much that it was harder, but the enemies were damage sponges so it took annoyingly long to beat some of them. In the game the bosses always have 100 HP but the defense stat is what changed. In this patched version if you are using the current best weapon you usually do 5 hp damage instead of like 1 or 2.

Demaking WD changes across the board is an amazing idea.

4. Their Lunars (esp EB) are so f'up.

THe group has done most of the games I think. There's nothing so drastic as changing the dialogue, it's mostly just reverting stats to be true to the originals. I might try one of the Lunar games when I'm done with Final Fantasy 7.

The juvenile, 15 year old humor is one thing, but thinking you know better than the devs and fucking with values, breaking games like the 2nd Exile on the TG16 and poor Silhouette Mirage on PS.

7. #1) Metro Exodus PC: It's not really my 1st, as I've pretty much been burning (played all of them) through all of the large map in Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity. I like the game play, with the game having more focus on exploring and less on gearing up and progressing the story. I really didn't like the ending Artyem dies to save Anna. It appears that this is the end for the Metro Games, unless they do some kind of spinoff that involves other survivor communities.

8. 7. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

What a sick game. It's Souls but with less of the stuff I don't care about and more of the stuff I do care about. Like, moreso than Bloodborne, even. The action in the Souls games doesn't really get bogged down by the character customization stuff, but there's no doubt that Sekiro's more Ys-like character progression allows for bosses and enemies that make players use a wider variety of techniques. Each new boss led me through a cycle of thinking they were impossible to learning all their attacks to hooting and hollering when I beat them, and most impressively this cycle actually carries all the way to the game's utterly magical final battle rather than plateauing early. Sekiro stands out a lot in this respect, but most of the other strengths of the Souls games are present here: gorgeous environments, an exactly-as-present-as-necessary plot, a perfectly bleak tone and atmosphere, a constant uncertainty when it comes to what the "necessary" path is, and so on. There are some other neat wrinkles, too, like the grappling hook, the light stealth, and the Dragonrot stuff.

I'll dig into more of the optional stuff and think about where this stacks with the other Miyazaki-related titles. Better than Bloodborne?

9. 07) Narc (arcade)

Got it down on level 10 this time. The 1st 3 stages are not too bad. At the start of stage 4 (Sunset Strip) there's a ludicrous amount of dynamite being thrown. When Kinky Pinky or the dumpster men come after you, you had better run or use a missile (not only are they much faster- killing them also takes more bullets).

10. NARC was such a cool looking game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!