Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 313151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2019: Would You Buy That for a Dollar?

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Started Adventure of Mana because I'm jonesing for the Mana Collection and it's not THAT bad for a mobile port.
    Yes it is. I paid full price for that shit when it came out.

*edit* I guess it was only $14? Either way I was ripped off.
    Last edited by GohanX; 19 Jun 2019 at 03:08 PM.

2. Vader Immortal: Episode 1

This is a pretty interesting little piece of content. It's not really much of a "game" per se. There are mechanics -- some pretty fun light saber fighting, in fact -- but they feel like activities along this hyper-linear narrative path. The interest is squarely on how to use VR to tell a Star Wars story. Visually it's pretty stunning (especially for a game that was cross-platform with Quest) and nails the look and feel of the Star Wars universe as well as you'd hope. If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it's similar in scope to Arkham VR, but the price is better and it's episodic.

That last part is pretty crucial. Arkham VR was just pointless and didn't go anywhere. It felt like a demo for a product that never came. But this feels like the beginning of something that actually will come. So I'm interested to see how this unfolds.

3. Bloodstained Ritual of the Night.
    What a great game. Beat my expectations by a mile. I even explored the map to 100% There’s a lot of cool Castlevania nods. Hell, half the enemies are practically reskinned versions. The boss battle are kinda hit and miss though. This is as close to a true sequel to Symphony of the Night we are going to get. What a bummer that Konami is shit these days.
    I’m not going to grind out the shards and items though. It would take forever. Sign me up for some DLC though.
    Last edited by EvilMog; 24 Jun 2019 at 06:09 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Bloodstained Ritual of the Night.
    What a great game. Beat my expectations by a mile. I even explored the map to 100% There’s a lot of cool Castlevania nods. Hell, half the enemies are practically reskinned versions. The boss battle are kinda hit and miss though. This is as close to a true sequel to Symphony of the Night we are going to get. What a bummer that Konami is shit these days.
    I’m not going to grind out the shards and items though. It would take forever. Sign me up for some DLC though.
    I wonder how much the license really matters at this point. In fact, the things that they did remove (skeletons, medusa heads, dracula) are all basically public domain, and likely only changed for fear that they might "Collectively" be argued to constitute some kind of brand identity. Does anyone really miss these things? I feel like if you put the CV name on this no one would really bat an eye.

5. 7) Final Fantasy VII
    I replayed it on PS4 where you can use boost like healing and maxing your limit after every action, 4x game speed and no random battles. I really think that's something which would make me replay certain games again. I've already fully played this 3 or 4 times, so to go back again and sink another 100 hours was unlikely. To do everything in about 25 though? That was awesome.

8) Brave Fencer Musashi
    I started this again last year and on the second steamwood I just never went back. Threw it in a few weeks ago and made it past first try, then made a secondary save right after so if I ever replay it again I can skip steamwood entirely and save bounce. Still my favorite game ever. It's so charming and well crafted in every way.

9) Assassin's Creed Odyssey
    I've played zero ACs to completion and only put a few hours into 1 and 2 before just not liking them. A buddy from work swore that if I liked open world RPGs I would like Odyssey and he was right. This game is enormous and while it's riddle with flaws, the quality of the world building is second to none. The crafting of the towns and cities in this game is bananas, they all feel different and I don't notice recycled assets at all; which means they're hiding them well. The thing that got the absolute oldest though was the leveling and gear mechanic. You need 1200 leather to upgrade a hat? Not only is that number totally stupid from a "how are you using that much leather on a single hat anyway" standpoint, but by the time you get enough materials you've leveled again. By the time you can upgrade all of your gear to your current level on a single cycle you're ten levels higher than the first piece of gear you upgraded. It's horribly implemented and the economy is retarded and broken.

6. That reminds me, I need to go back to Odyssey. I want to at least play through the story. The map is just discouraging with the insane amount of shit to find and do.

7. Marvel's Spider-Man-

I loved this game minus the lame stealth missions. The feeling of swinging wherever never got old, especially after unlocking all of my abilities. Boss fights were a mixed bag with a couple being too quick-timey but none of there were bad. I'm looking forward to what a sequel brings! Definitely a good open-world game.

I finished Spiderman 2018 recently, too. The combat mechanics are really good as are the production values. I avoided most side-quests as it would have dragged on too long.

9. snip
    Last edited by Tain; 07 Aug 2019 at 11:25 PM. Reason: double post i guess

10. 15. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Definitely surpassed my expectations. The variety and castle complexity they managed to have while not having all the old games to grab stuff from is really impressive, and the unique elements of the game (right stick aiming stuff, some late-game abilities) are really cool. The difficulty curve worked out better for me than Order of Ecclesia, too. The inconsistent visuals are the biggest complaint I have about the game (I think most of the 2D games look better), but it's not a huge one.