Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 102022232425 LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2019: Would You Buy That for a Dollar?

1. 29. Death Stranding

For as long as this game is, and as barren and desolate as the setting is, the core mechanics remain engaging throughout. It's fun to carry shit from point A to point B. The movement rules are surprisingly nuanced and take some time to learn. The survival elements hit that sweet spot of being something you're mindful of without being something you're annoyed by. The combat encounters, when they happen, are actually well-done and not throwaway. New wrinkles constantly appear at JUST the right time, balanced by a satisfying sense of progression as you see the infrastructure you're building help yourself and other players. The narrative is weird and nonsense at first but actually pretty fucking good by the end, and all of the cutscenes are well-shot and pretty well-acted. Watch out for the occasional long stretch of over-exposition, though.

This is a great game, and one that I was hesitant to suggest to others at first but would now do wholeheartedly.

Shenmue III (PS4)

- I'm impressed with how much they nailed the Shenmue atmosphere and feel. It's kind of surreal at times. This was so important to do right.

- I'm guessing they feared the game would be too short so they added unnecessary padding. Having some tedious work elements is part of the Shenmue experience but this game takes it too far; the fighting levelling system brings down the pacing.

- The new music is great but not quite as catchy or memorable as previous tunes.

- Maybe it's because I fear the series being cancelled but I wish this game furthered the story more than it did.

- Overall as a huge Shenmue fan, I'm satisfied with game and it's a miracle it exists and turned out as well as it did. It's my least favourite of the three Shenmue game because of padding issues and not being quite as memorable, though.

3. I backed the initial kickstarter but haven't played part 1 since the US dreamcast release and never got around to part 2. Are the remakes decent?
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

They had some glitches at launch (I only encountered minor audio problems but some people had worse) but I think they have patched them since then. I really enjoyed them on PS4 although they're more like remasters so don't expect drastic changes.

5. Life is Strange 2 - I liked this quite a lot, but maybe not quite as much as the first. It does have a lot of improvements over the first, namely a much higher budget and better dialog, and it maintains a lot of the poignancy and atmosphere that made the first game so great, with a very different sort of story. But the ways in which the first game was forced to re-use characters and locations actually worked to its benefit, I think. This one is a road-trip, and every episode has new settings and locations and so I never developed any attachment to them, beyond the principals. Still, the first is a tough act to follow and they managed to make something worthy of the name. Better than Before the Storm, too.

Without spoilers, I also liked the way they handled the endings compared to the first. Where Life is Strange boiled its endings down to a single binary choice at the end with one feeling much more fleshed out and "correct" than the other, this one gives you a choice at the end, but plays out in one of 3 main ways depending on past choices with 7 variants in all. All of these are extremely bittersweet in different ways and satisfying in others. I chose the "lawful/good" ending and I'm not sure it was right.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Shenmue III (PS4)

- I'm impressed with how much they nailed the Shenmue atmosphere and feel. It's kind of surreal at times. This was so important to do right.

- I'm guessing they feared the game would be too short so they added unnecessary padding. Having some tedious work elements is part of the Shenmue experience but this game takes it too far; the fighting levelling system brings down the pacing.

- The new music is great but not quite as catchy or memorable as previous tunes.

- Maybe it's because I fear the series being cancelled but I wish this game furthered the story more than it did.

- Overall as a huge Shenmue fan, I'm satisfied with game and it's a miracle it exists and turned out as well as it did. It's my least favourite of the three Shenmue game because of padding issues and not being quite as memorable, though.
    The first game also had a lot of padding, added as they realized they wouldn't have the later chapters done in time to include them.

I have only played a little of 3 so far. It's shockingly faithful to the original in good and bad ways. I am excited to make my way through it, but playing 3 other games right now as well.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 04 Dec 2019 at 10:38 AM.

6. I am disappointed that the story didn't forward much in S3. At this rate, this will be finished in 2207.

7. 30. Shenmue III

This feels like a way more natural continuation than it has any right to. Save for some slightly more comfortable control mechanics and modern visuals (which are mostly pretty impressive), I agree that this is mostly what I remember the originals being like. The atmosphere, pacing, odd jobs, stilted dialog, all of that.

On one hand, I like the focus on Ryo's constant training as a fighter, narratively, and the game does a surprisingly good job of tying this into the in-game day-to-day. On the other, it does wear a bit later in the game. I'm looking forward to the fourth, if it happens.

8. 31. Pistol Whip

The basic idea of Pistol Whip is that you're gliding through bespoke forward-scrolling stages, lightgun shooting the shit out of enemies, and physically dodging bullets, only everything is set to crunchy electronic music. This includes the choreography of enemy spawns, the timing of enemy shots, the travel times that the bullets take to reach you, and so on. The music is fantastic, incoming dangers are communicated with complete clarity, and the enemy death animations never get old. Stages get incredibly hectic, but the game has generous amounts of auto-aim and completely justifies it.

This is all pretty great, and you can play the game ignoring the scoring mechanics and have a lot of fun, but those mechanics really elevate everything. The auto-aim, cleverly, affects how many points you earn per shot depending on how far off you were pre-correction, and shooting to the rhythm is a huge factor. Combine that with an incredibly satisfying maximum-point melee attack (the titular Pistol Whip, of course), and you'd have to actively try to ignore the scoring system. There's a set of modifier options that significantly change things up, too, the most interesting being one to turn off auto-aim (passing songs on Easy becomes a challenge with this).

Music games are obviously a pretty natural fit for VR. While I love AirTone and Beat Saber, neither got me as pumped as Pistol Whip. This is one of my favorite VR games, easily, and that's saying a lot. And while I don't think the game is lacking as-is, there's so much potential here for more stages, harder difficulties, and more enemy types with unique mechanics tied to them.

9. #11 Resident Evil 2 Remake

Finished Claire's scenario, working on Leon now. It is one of my GOTY candidate.

10. 11. Death Stranding (PS4)

Fuck I loved this game. Day one was a weird feeling because I thought I knew what to expect and I was wrong. Then I kept playing and every new bit engaged me more, all the way up to the end. What a game. Very glad they let you go back and clean up orders and missed stuff afterwards, and it ensures I'll continue playing this thing for a while.