Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2019: Would You Buy That for a Dollar?

1. #2 King of Fighters XIV

Only took me about 45 minutes to beat the story mode without dying. Gone are the days of super difficult bosses from SNK fighters, this one is a cake walk. I just do low/strong kick and basically cheese through the game. I didn't play 12/13, and don't remember much about 11, so I thought this one is not bad. I like some of the new characters, like King of Dinosaurs. I like this guy and Terry kept calling him Tizoc, lol.

2. #3 Dead Cells

I put this down after playing it for a good month or so when it was first released. It was fun but I wasn't finding any more upgrade (blueprints?) and each run was taking forever. Anyway I decided to give it another go and finished it on my first run. I still like this game a lot and recommend it highly, but it does get tedious once you run out of things to upgrade.

3. 3. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

Really fun game, I liked the character switching and the level design kept things interesting, I'm going to have to go through again for the areas I surely missed but I won't mind at all. Played through most of the game on Veteran until I got to the umbrella lady boss and just kept dying over n over, switched it over to Casual and finished up. Finished the last boss with every character at 1 health, the last hit couldn't have come any later or I was done. I dig the desperation moves that the bosses had, but I got hit by every single one. Not sure I'll have the guts to play on Nightmare mode, but this is definitely something I'll go back to in a bit.

4. #4 Maze Walker 3D

I had this game way back when I had the SMS and 3D glasses. I never got far into the game because it is somewhat dull and lots of cheap death. However, I recently got the Sega 3D classics for 3DS and it is in the collection, and thank M2 that they included a save state function so I can finish this frustrating game. My opinion has not changed, it is still super cheap and some of the later levels have some ridiculous jumps where you are literally controlling an ant size character, especially the very last jump that you have to make. I have to reload 10 times before I figured out how to make that one jump. I can't imagine replaying this game from the beginning just to die there.

In any case, it is more of a tech demo than a fully fleshed out game as it is quite short, boring and (BS) difficulty.

Yeah, I agree. Visually it was stunning for its time (it was the first 3d glasses game I owned), and the FM soundtrack is great, but it's just not much fun to play. Even speeding up the character's walking would have improved it a lot.

6. Persona 4 Golden: Quality game! The level of polish and attention to detail is really rare to this day. I'm on kind of a visual novel kick at the moment, so it made the RPG qualities a lot easier to swallow.

Persona 5 is coming in the mail today, I'm excited to see the jump forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. 4. Trials Rising (PC)

This game is easily my favorite in the series, taking the place of Evolution without a second glance behind it. Each track (there are 117) feels so damn good, with awesome lines and really nice details. The easy tracks were not a chore to get through, they were ALL fun this time around. The inclusion of the Trials Academy was a really smart idea and one I'm surprised didn't make it into the game before. At first I skipped over the little intro movies and then I decided that I don't know it all and should listen, and when I did I became much better at the game. Things I "knew" how to do before but actually just thought I knew were now explained, and then you're given the time to figure it out and do it yourself before attempting it in a track. Holy crap it worked wonders, and I feel anyone playing THIS game will be much much better than they were at any previous Trials game because of it. That said, the A+ ranks are not easy to obtain in the later lessons, but then again they kind of are since the game literally shows you how to do them as you're trying to. It's just done right. On top of that the skill games are actually fun this time around, and save for the final 3 I got gold or better on all of them. Theres a new medal above Platinum to shoot for, Diamond, and at this time I only got 1 of those on one of the skill games. You've got to be fucking TIGHT to get that new medal. I hit gold or better on all base tracks besides Inferno V which I need to play again. Also managed to 0 fault an Extreme track which always feels so damn good. The extremes are the best bunch of any game or DLC so far IMO, feeling both more accessible and challenging at the same time. I can't think of a single track I didn't enjoy, and that's a testament to Redlynx knowing it's player base. The inclusion of loot boxes is forgivable since it's only for cosmetic stuff, and I was able to get a Praise the Sun pose for my character so I'm stoked. The track editor (which I have not used but I never did in the other games either) has ALL the pieces from EVERY Trials game previous, which means the community is going to be making incredible tracks for years to come. Private, Party and regular MP are all available, but the one time I tried for an online match no one was around (really, on a Saturday afternoon during release week?) The bikes feel like they ride a little better, especially when using things like the Donkey which was always just a dumb thing before but now feels FUN to ride. Overall this game is just so fucking good. I put 20 hours in the first week before I finished everything, and now it's time to go back and beat Kumobuo who has been stealing the high scores from me. Ended week 1 in the top 2% and I hope to keep it there through perseverance and continual improvement. Very excited for whatever else they release for this game, and for finding all 60 Squirrels (I found 3 during my normal play). Can't recommend this enough, especially since it would give me more ghosts to compete against!

8. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    #2 King of Fighters XIV

Only took me about 45 minutes to beat the story mode without dying. Gone are the days of super difficult bosses from SNK fighters, this one is a cake walk. I just do low/strong kick and basically cheese through the game. I didn't play 12/13, and don't remember much about 11, so I thought this one is not bad. I like some of the new characters, like King of Dinosaurs. I like this guy and Terry kept calling him Tizoc, lol.
    You didn't miss much by not playing XII. That one was disappointing & felt like it was just a demo/proof of concept for what XIII would be. XIII is worth getting, but it does have a typical SNK boss. I was glad to see them back off on XIV's Verse, making him more comparable to M. Bison in Super SFII. I've seen a video of KOF XIV Arcade Ver. & surprisingly it seems they kept his AI the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8jcUcVaohY
    Verse battle is at 20:22.

9. #5 Journey Escape (2600) - Final Score $82100

Weird crossover like this always makes me smile. Played the crap out of it as a kid but never knew you had to hit the Scarab to move onto the next member of the band. I finally got all 5 members to the Scarab today, the last stage is quite difficult but a lot of it is luck. If you get the manager (Kool-aid man), you can just breeze to the end for that member. Once you get all 5, you get a huge bonus and the game restart. I missed completing the 2nd run by literally 2 seconds.

10. 1. Parasite Eve

I finished this just after New Year's. The game holds up nicely! The battle system achieved in 1998 what Tri-ace is still trying to figure out in 2019: combat that rewards smart positioning and quick reactions. That's not to say it's exactly GOD HAND in there; there are quite a few unavoidable, illegible, or just sloppy attacks. That the game showers you with recovery items seems to be an acknowledgment that its ambition sometimes outpaces its ability. The map design is also mostly bad, but you can tell it's trying. Usually.

I had a good Chrysler Building run until I ran out of ammo, so that's that.

2. Megaman 3

Really heartening to see I spend my spring breaks the same way at 36 as I did at 8. Just zero growth as a man.

Even though 3 has less memorable music and mans, it's better than 2, although 3 seems more punitive about deviating from the right boss order. Bosses go from incredibly difficult with the default weapon (Hard Man, Gemini Man) to, as my buddy put it, "just press 'B' four times whenever." Its weapons also have even less utility outside of using them against their prescribed bosses than do MM2's. Why would you ever want to use that slow-ass, random gemini beam in a level?

At the risk of having my internet gamer cred revoked, the rewind button on the Legacy Collection makes playing these delightful.