Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7171920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2019: Would You Buy That for a Dollar?

1. Slay the Spire

If I were hardcore, I'd insist that "completing" this game meant doing Ascension 20 with all three characters. If I were a filthy, softcore casual, I'd be content to call clearing just one character's path on normal "complete." As my core is tough but rubbery and yielding--as I am racquetballcore--I'm happy posting here after clearing it with all three characters on Normal and Ascension Level 1 with just one (blue guy).

That's not to say I'm moving on. I'm still obsessed. The drip feed of relic and card unlocks coupled with the feeling of getting just a l'il better every run keeps me going. The grindy incrementalism places it much closer to Shiren than Magic the Gathering or even Baiten Kaitos; you're assembling a "deck" in Shiren just as much as you are here. But unlike Shiren, this is a videogame--one that doesn't huff and puff every time you ask it to do something, no less. I love Shiren, but I feel like I'm bothering it when I play it. Shiren clips its fingernails at the office.

Anyway, this is probably one of the best games ever made. It's on Game Pass.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 26 Aug 2019 at 03:22 PM.

2. Would You Buy That for a Dollar?

Thanks for the information.

3. lol

4. Perhaps he was being sincere.

5. #7: Quantum Break (Normal)
    This is an interesting game with a plot centered around time mechanics that are so prevalent in other games. For the most part, the episodes were well acted, particularly with Aidan Gillen (Little Finger) and Lance Reddick (John Wick concierge). The game is pretty easy, up until the last battle, and there is a lack of enemies types. I thought Dr. Kim would be a boss fight at some point but that never happened. I enjoyed it for what it was and will play the sequel if they ever make it.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Lance Reddick (John Wick concierge)
    He'll always be the undercover cop from Oz to me.

7. I have never seen Oz, now I kinda want to.

8. You should, it's a great show. I don't think he shows up until the third or fourth season, however.

9. 23. Exapunks

Zachtronics games have always been awesome from a mechanics standpoint, but this continues in the direction of SHENZHEN I/O and Opus Magnum by wrapping the core up in a cool hack-to-live narrative. I'm not crazy about how the narrative ends, but it's engaging up to that point and the presentation rules. The focus on replication and communication between your little EXAs is awesome and surprisingly fresh given how many programming games these guys have made, and the missions get extremely mind-bending by the end. There are also some excellent surprises, like a simple simulated handheld you can write games for and a great Magical Drop clone unlocked after you beat a mission in which you need to crack a console's region protection.

10. #8: Gears of War 4 (Hardcore)
    The campaign is pretty good, although I did get a bit tired of it toward the end. I like how it incorporated some mini-Horde sections within the stages. The boss fights tend to drag a bit though. The graphics, especially on the X, is amazing with rock solid frame rate. I am now ready for 5.
    Last edited by kingoffighters; 03 Sep 2019 at 10:09 PM.