Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing 2019: Alpha Edition

1. RE2 Remake. It's awesome. I like it and the original equally. I'm not as good at the remake as I am the original yet, but I'm getting there.
    You act as though payback makes you a noble man, is that a fact?
    Well, you're a goddamn Philistine!

2. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Let's fight! I NEED THE GUTSMAN BALROG COSTUME.
    Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Let's all do a battle lounge soon.
    Excellent! Yes! Let us fightmans, and be glad in it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Vasteel View Post
    Huh, I always thought it had one of the deepest battle systems of the pre-32bit jrpgs
    It's not that deep, especially compared to Final Fantasy III's (VI) timed combat and summons. You can make custom commands for your party during battles, but unless you have someone that is always casting certain spells every round, it's mostly everyone doing the same attacks against different colored versions of the same monsters you've fought a 100 times before.

4. Is this the appropriate spot to ask if anyone wants to fight mans tonight

5. Normally maybe not, but I have seen the message at random and yes I will play with my broken stick if you are around!

6. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It's not that deep, especially compared to Final Fantasy III's (VI) timed combat and summons. You can make custom commands for your party during battles, but unless you have someone that is always casting certain spells every round, it's mostly everyone doing the same attacks against different colored versions of the same monsters you've fought a 100 times before.
    Are you combining Techniques?

7. Finished Mark of the Ninja Remastered and I can't bring myself to play any of the DLC content. Just not compelling enough. Also, its ending tries for an emotional tone it did not earn throughout the game. Not a bad game. I still think it was mechanically solid. A good riff on the original Metal Gear Solid but in 2D with an uncompelling story (not that MSG's is super compelling). Changing gears for the next game. One of my favorite games of all time is Ninja Gaiden Black. I purchased and played Ninja Gaiden 2 on the 360 when it came out. I didn't really enjoy it. It just didn't feel as precise or as deliberate as NGB. But I decided to give it another go to see if perhaps I had missed something. To an extent, I did. The game is really not an extension of what NGB had achieved or was trying to do. NG2 is going for something completely different. Gone is the hub like world that linked all the stages of NGB together. There is no exploration (not that NGB had that much to begin with). It takes all of the responsiveness, move variety, and technicality of NGB and throws them into a 3D beat'em up arcade style game. And if I come at it from that angle, I can appreciate it and adjust my play style and expectations. I was just expecting NG2 to be NGB but better, and it's not. It's not bad, but also not as good as NGB. Anyway, lots of words for I'm playing NG2. I think I'm close to the end.

NGB is pretty hard to top. Honestly, the only thing I dont like about it are the cutscenes.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

9. I've been playing a lot of retro stuff lately, thanks in part to a new Retropie set up, and all of the auditing and updating of my emulation collection that came with it. I've been binging the Wario Land series, but also catching up on some of the stuff I meant to play but missed.

So yesterday I decided to finally dive headlong into Dragon Force II. This one is sort of a pain in the ass to get working -- patching CD based games can always be a nightmare of finding the exact right rip in the right format to work correctly, and Dragon Force II in particular is a prickly game to get working correctly, even by Saturn standards, with almost every emulator having issues, often subtle and hard to detect at first (AI glitches, hangs that occur hours into the game, etc). So I was just never comitted enough to really dig in and get it all working, but I finally did and I'm able to really play. It's great, the translation feels very complete, and it's nice to finally be able to enjoy this one.

10. That's cool, can you put DF2 on a googledrive?