Page 1 of 13 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing 2019: Alpha Edition

1. What Are You Playing 2019: Alpha Edition

Maybe it's the sugar but I'm mad this thread never went further in 2018, you silly bastards posting in threads dedicated to the games you were playing instead of the general thread of games you've been playing THIS YEAR IN THIS CURRENT SEASON... Always nice to get a quick snapshot of different folk's tendencies and feelings as they hit something that's been out for a minute. And I feel like people tend to speak differently about games in a general thread as opposed to it's specific game thread? Maybe it's me. Anywho, let's get this started. I'm always playing too many games.

Onimusha: Warlords (Switch)
    I saw Rocca was playing this one day and I immediately thought back to HOLY SHIT this was the first game I ever bought for myself on PS2, also the first time I ever used Ebay, and here it is on today's systems! I assumed he had moved to Japan with bbobb and fan released it for portable, but a few nights ago I randomly checked the store and saw it and spent less than half a blink deciding I should buy it. Now I'm nearly 3 hours in, nearly overpowered completely, and if I recall I'm near the end! Maybe I'm not, but it's pretty much exACTLY the same as the PS2 game (IIRC), and that's ok because it's a fun game with optional tank controls updated for today, and I remember EVERYTHING about this but at the same time I'm not recalling until I see it, so it's fun to go through again. Worth $20 for sure. Maybe would have gone for the PS4 version (had I realized it was multi-platform) so I could add to my trophy list. AS it stands, Honors on the Switch will not be drawing me in like Achievements or Trophies would. I'm still going to get them all, for this game.

SFV
    (PC, fuck the original PS4 version I bought with it's season 1 pass)
    These fucking assholes have managed to turn a broken, unfinished piece of shit video game (Vanilla SFV) into something I keep coming back to play. And the reason is simple: free costumes. Sure, you have to do things to get the "fight money" for these costumes, but I can get all or the majority of the fun/interesting costumes with a crazy supply of fight money and TIME. Which has had me loading the game up at least once a week for over a year. Do some Survival for FM here, play an Extra match for x/4 pieces of costume, check back a week later for the next piece, rinse and repeat until you have a huge roster of fun costumes for your 3Dfightman of choice. Also it's one of the two fightmans I still throw down regularly with kedawa on, and I cannot express how needed it is somedays just to fightmans with a dude who loves fightmans. This is why I miss USF4 (the other fightmans we throw down on) and the fun I had with SO MANY OF YOU.

Red Dead Redemption 2
    (PS4)
    Over 140 hours in and I'm still at 68% completion, I think it was like 58% story missions done but I've spent most of the last 80 hours hunting and doing challenges. The Online is fun, but not as much as the single, honestly! I've had GREAT interactions with other players, and the various online modes are fun, but there is just something inherently incredible about playing Arthur Morgan that makes me want to be good in that shit world, and it's more engaging than my mute trainwreck woman character in online. Still, this game has legs like the incredible GTAVO, which had it's faults with grinding and the like but goddamn if it isn't still fun to play today.

Dead Cells (PC)
    I finally finished this and I realized why: in the year and a half since I played the game they made it a FUCK TON easier. I bought into the early access as soon as I was aware of the game, played a bunch and really really enjoyed it but I reached a barrier around the Clock Tower I couldn't get past. Then I load it up a few weeks ago after a LONG hiatus and start from scratch and beat the fucker. Yeah, shit changed, and I think it's for the better because I was definitely a little frustrated before, and it was nice to get where I hadn't been before and see more of the game. I know there's still a ton to unlock and many areas to explore, and I love that and makes me super happy they got support to finish and port it to other systems. Seems like a solid choice for a Switch title.

Steep (PS4 - it's free in January, get on it)
    The updated free version of this game COMES WITH THE ROCKET WINGS. It also comes with a few of the other "new" events but you won't fucking care because of the ROCKET WINGS. I went on to explore and unlock an achievement in the PS4 version that I still do not have in the PC version, which I started playing 2 years ago. The Rocket Wings BREAK exploration in this game COMPLETELY, but that doesn't mean it's not fun as hell blazing around the mountain trying to find those TINY spots. There have been several balance updates as well and the controls feel tighter. Loaded up the PC version recently and the updates apply there as well, feeling better also. Grinds have been added, a WELCOME addition since it was suspiciously absent at release. This is now the DE FACTO moving around tricking off stuff game, IMO. I have played ALL the Skates (second best), the SSX's (third), not to forget the Dave Mirras and Matt Hoffmans and XXX bike games (ALL FUN but Dave is king), the Aggressive Inline games and *much, much worse* Jet Set Whatever games, Steep really feels the best and moves the best and if you're playing on a beastly PC it looks fucking NUTS. I actually think I'm going to "platinum" this base game twice. I posted a video on FB when I did a challenge on the PS4 version, felt like a total badass because I beat the recommended time of 15 minutes for this huge ascent by half, clocking in at 7:01:xx. Posted a video. Though I was cool. Loaded up the PC version I played a year and a half ago and checked that same challenge: my time to beat was 6:10. I guess I'll stop now.
    Last edited by Pineapple; 30 Jan 2019 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Tiny Monsters - Puscifer

It's been kinda weird for me lately in gaming. I built a totally sweet PC rig late last year, but the only stuff I've been wanting to play since about Christmas had been Super Nintendo with a little side of GBA.

I 96 starred Mario World, played through Final Fight and Return of Double Dragon numerous times, and now I'm in the middle of Link to the Past. I also 1cced Turtles in Time on hard tonight. I throw in a side of Gradius 3 once in a while, which I never really played before.

On the gba front I've been playing Circle of the Moon which Finch so graciously sent me, and playing the shit out of Double Dragon Advance, which might just be the best beatemup ever.

3. This year I started playing and finished Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. I really enjoyed it though the first hour or two are a bit of a drag. I liked that they provided a Metroid style map with indicators for everything you have found in the game, plus a way to add a question mark for things you have yet to find. The game really is a lover letter to the games that inspired it. If you enjoyed Wonder the Dragon's Trap remake or any of the previous Wonder Boy games, I highly recommend this.

The next game I started to play and have yet to finish is Mark of the Ninja. I purchased this ages ago when it first came out. Then they did the remastered version and I got it for free on the Xbox One. Don't know how I quite feel about it. I think it is a technically sound game. The mechanics are solid and rewarding. The graphical presentation is nice I guess. The story is so banal and the voice acting is so so. I'm probably going to finish this, but I feel the story is super telegraphing itself.

4. I started a lot of games the past few weeks, Dragon Quest VII, Death Mark, SP Fractured But Whole, Fist of the North Star, Fire Emblem Fates, but so far I keep going back to Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

5. Moving and game dev have been keeping me busy this past week, but RE2 is the main thing on the mind. It's pretty rough on Hardcore!

6. Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post

SFV
    (PC, fuck the original PS4 version I bought with it's season 1 pass)
    I picked this up again this month after having abandoned it since mid-2016. I really like it. Let's fight! I NEED THE GUTSMAN BALROG COSTUME.

7. Let's all do a battle lounge soon.

Aside from the occasional fightman and Mario Run, I haven't been gaming much at all since the start of the year. I picked up Samus Returns and Link Between Worlds before xmas, so I'll jump on those as soon as I have some time.

8. Forza Horizon 4 (PC): This is one of those games that is the reason you put together a high end gaming rig. The game is beautiful @1440p and the frame rate is ultra smooth. The only downside is that I just couldn't get my racing wheel from making my car fishtale out of control.

Phantasy Star IV (PS3): I'm somewhere around 30 hours into this game. The combat system kind of bores me, but I love the world and the story so far.

9. Forza Horizon 4 (PC): This is one of those games that is the reason you put together a high end gaming rig. The game is beautiful @1440p and the frame rate is ultra smooth. The only downside is that I just couldn't get my racing wheel from making my car fishtale out of control.

Phantasy Star IV (PS3): I'm somewhere around 30 hours into this game. The combat system kind of bores me, but I love the world and the story so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Huh, I always thought it had one of the deepest battle systems of the pre-32bit jrpgs
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...