Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Stadia: Onlive 2.0

1. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Especially when we're talking about pocket change.
    I did some extra checking and sadly this isn't the truth.

Google is seriously wanting to charge people full god damn retail pricing along with the monthly service on games that will be released later. I can't even begin to wonder who at Google thought that was a damn good idea along with if you're running this thing with 4K max with Surround Sound it's going to be almost 16 Gigabytes of data an hour!

That means if you're running with an ISP with a monthly data cap it's only going to take you around 65 hours to hit 1 terabyte that not including whatever else you're doing online at the time. So if you have a 1 terabyte data cap you're going to kill that shit fast.

I mean really, making you pay the same price for a game that you would pay if you went to the store for a physical copy of the same game. I mean what's gonna happen to all that money you spent on Google Stadia if it fails. At 60 bucks a pop that can add up fast and if it fails, your games and your money are just poof into thin air.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 07 Jun 2019 at 03:30 PM.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

2. You're paying for the game, and paying a small monthly price to play the game without having to pay for extra hardware to play it. It's a trade off that will work for some people and not others. Being that this service seems tied into the multiplayer arena, I don't see the big deal. Most of those games have a fairly short shelf life.

I tried googling, but I couldn't find a real percentage of how many broadband subscribers have datacaps vs those that don't.
    But who better to have on your side when fighting against data caps than google?

3. Even so buddy. Full Retail for something not even saved to your PC or console in some form is going to turn a lot of people off quickly. I know this is new territory but Google needs to work this out fast because when people find out that they're asking 60 bucks a pop along with paying whatever monthly fees they're asking to "lease" a game that will go away once Stadia is gone, people are going to feel really burned.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

4. I'm sure some will. Just like people feel burned when a online multiplayer game they bought and no one else did gets its servers shut down. It happens. The vast majority of people don't care because they already moved onto The Next Thing anyway.

5. I’m just barely ok paying full price for a digital game once in a great while but there’s no goddamn way I’m paying $60 to stream my own game. Streaming a 4K game is going to be a mess anyways. I have a pretty great download speed but even that once in awhile can choke for a moment or two on 4K video streaming. I HIGHLY doubt adding controller latency to the mix would be fun. I don’t care what Google is claiming, it’s going to work like shit. I’d rather skip all the hiccups and bullshit and just have it downloaded.

6. Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    I’m just barely ok paying full price for a digital game once in a great while but there’s no goddamn way I’m paying $60 to stream my own game. Streaming a 4K game is going to be a mess anyways. I have a pretty great download speed but even that once in awhile can choke for a moment or two on 4K video streaming. I HIGHLY doubt adding controller latency to the mix would be fun. I don’t care what Google is claiming, it’s going to work like shit. I’d rather skip all the hiccups and bullshit and just have it downloaded.
    Yeah, I don' think this is going to succeed as a real alternative way to buy full retail games. I think it's going to be much better for highly social GaaS experiences where the low barrier of entry is going to be a huge asset. Freemium multiplayer stuff.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure missing those Onlive games I paid < $5 for, never played, and forgot about- I tell you what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I don't get this attachment. You spend more on lunch, and you'll never get that back. You spend more on seeing a movie once. You spend more on a package of toilet paper. You want to keep that forever when after you've used it?

I sorta get it when it comes to $60 purchases. But once a digital thing reaches the sub $10 mark, if you bought it and didn't get use out of it before it goes away- that's on you. You shouldn't have spent that money to begin with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Yeah I can't devote myself to worrying about how the games will play in a decade. The point is the experience, which is only really ripe in Current Day when everyone else is also playing. Most people can justify spending $20 at the arcade or a music show or whatever, I just do the same with games. I'll let the Parishes of the world fret about writing the history books.
    Ugh. This attitude makes me sad. The Parishes of the world will have a much harder time if people continue to pay to rent games and forget about them. The whole "disposable media" attitude people have with games makes preservation that much harder, and things like this mean that future generations will probably not be able to play many of these games. That might not seem important, but it is. It's mind-boggling to me that people still have this attitude about gaming, when no other form of media does. We preserve movies, music, etc. but no one gives a shit about game history. And companies are even worse. Most literally give ZERO fucks about their games, and it gets harder each day to document and preserve what's being made. It's why we can't have nice things and why so many people don't take video games serious as a medium.

8. the way things are going, future generations are going to have more important things to worry about than whether or not they’ll ever get to play Generic First Person Looter Shooter #287.

9. You could say that about pretty much anything. What's your point?

10. My point is that it's really not that big of a deal.
    The same way that Film culture wouldn't be deeply impacted if all versions of 50 First Dates suddenly disappeared, losing 95% of modern games wouldn't really matter either.
    Not to get too Ebert, but so much of gaming is just retreading the same worn out concepts. I highly doubt people in 2049 are going to care about being able to play Apex Legends.