Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Stadia: Onlive 2.0

1. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post

I really have no idea what to say about this. I loved Baulder's Gate but the rest of it is eh to me. I guess if this becomes a real thing it'll do ok but I have 0 desire to own this. Even at a price tag of under $150.00 for this thing, I just can't really think of this in the long term.
    I don't think it's a thing. It's a service, like Youtube. You don't need to buy any hardware, you just pay for games.

It's not going to make sense for most people as a way to buy single player games, but I do think it has a lot of potential for free-to-play games, especially if they can leverage the unique multiplayer features of the platform. If they can get a Fortnite (by which I mean a low-barrier-of-entry ubiquitous and highly sharable sort of game) then they could have something.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 06 Jun 2019 at 08:45 PM.

2. There will be hardware of some kind, even if it's optional.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    There will be hardware of some kind, even if it's optional.
    Just the controller, from the sounds of it (which isn't required, but which apparetnly connects directly to the service to lower latency). It strictly seems to be built around running on your existing hardware.

4. No.

5. They're selling it bundled with a Chromecast Ultra as well, so the option is there to buy dedicated hardware, but of course most users will be on the free browser based version.

I might try it out since I have my own internet connection and there's nothing much using it other than whatever machine I'm using at the time.
    It's a better option for me than buying more hardware.

6. Phil: Microsoft? Screw that, I'm making Google money now bitches!

The hardware in a Chromecast is basically a SNES classic, its hardware isn't running anything but the streaming application.

8. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    They're selling it bundled with a Chromecast Ultra as well, so the option is there to buy dedicated hardware, but of course most users will be on the free browser based version.

I might try it out since I have my own internet connection and there's nothing much using it other than whatever machine I'm using at the time.
    It's a better option for me than buying more hardware.
    Chromecast is not exactly dedicated hardware, nor does it really seem to be the "preferred" hardware for this compared to anything else.

9. I just mean dedicated in the sense that it may not get used for anything else besides Stadia. If all you have is a tv and a cable box, the dongle is basically a console.

10. There is no console (at least in the traditional sense) for Stadia.