Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 245678 ... LastLast

Thread: Stadia: Onlive 2.0

1. Being software doesn't help matters either.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    My point is that it's really not that big of a deal.
    The same way that Film culture wouldn't be deeply impacted if all versions of 50 First Dates suddenly disappeared, losing 95% of modern games wouldn't really matter either.
    Not to get too Ebert, but so much of gaming is just retreading the same worn out concepts. I highly doubt people in 2049 are going to care about being able to play Apex Legends.
    Except that the problem doesn't affect only generic shooters and derivative games. All games are affected equally. And even bad games have historic value.

3. nope

4. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    nope
    I'm going to have to agree with Melf on this one. Even if something doesn't hold any value to yourself personally doesn't mean others folks don't feel the same broski. If this wasn't the case there wouldn't be places out there now that are actively trying to preserve video games as a form of art. A lot of people do have questions about gaming from where it started to where it is now. We need to preserve that as best we can & yes even the shitty games done over the years have some sort of value in that aspect.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

5. see, you are moving goalposts now. I’m not arjuing against the preservation of games over the years. I’m saying that the stuff released at THIS time doesnt really matter, especially the competitive multiplayer junk that Stadia will be focused on.
    Regarding that other point though, would anyone’s life be vastly impacted had that Famicom game that everyone was crying about been dumped and released? No. Just because I’m into cars doesn’t mean I’m entitled to drive every car that ever existed.

6. If 99% of mobile games get lost, it will be for the best.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    My point is that it's really not that big of a deal.
    The same way that Film culture wouldn't be deeply impacted if all versions of 50 First Dates suddenly disappeared, losing 95% of modern games wouldn't really matter either.
    Not to get too Ebert, but so much of gaming is just retreading the same worn out concepts. I highly doubt people in 2049 are going to care about being able to play Apex Legends.
    Not recreationally, no, but cultural history is valuable for other reasons. We lost 95% of silent films because people thought they were value-less once talkies came out, and the idea that anyone would take a historical interest in them -- let alone the advent of home media -- was inconceivable. But that's seen as a great tragedy as a lot of important and influential works are now completely gone.

But they WERE right. No one was going to pay to see those movies in theaters once talkies were out. But that just isn't the point.

8. I just think the less plastic and electronics I have to buy to play a game the better. It's great that people want to preserve stuff, but for games, I'd rather see that take the form of emulation and piracy. Those two things are actually effective, and they rely on general purpose computing rather than specialized hardware and media that needs to be manufactured and maintained.

9. Comparing Silents and modern games is a disingenuous comparison. If you can’t see that, I’m not going to bother trying to make you.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    see, you are moving goalposts now.
    I'm not really attempting to do that. If anything I think I would be hoping to make you see it from Melf's viewpoint on this. I'm not trying to belittle your point but I'm hoping you can understand where he's coming from.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL