Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't understand gamer discourse at all

1. In Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi they gave people who were from southern Japan accents like they were from the US south so you instantly understood the context. It was rad.

Aren't south Japanese more like cheap street wise simple people, and not like, redneck chuckle fucks?

I think developers can make whatever they want. From should keep making the games they want to make. There are plenty of video games to go around.

I also don't give a shit if easy modes exist. I usually play on normal because I want to learn the game as intended, then move on to higher difficulties if it's good enough.

I also think people don't understand games. They beat their heads against the same wall the same way over and over instead of trying to understand what they're supposed to be doing.

Games are made to be beaten, you just have to figure out the developers' intent.

Lol, have you ever had a friend that cant beat area that you've beaten?

Comedy gold.

6. I’ve been on both ends of that deal.

I got my Genesis from a friend. He couldn’t beat Dark Force at the end of Phantasy Star 2. I told him that I’d beaten the end boss. He didn’t believe me, so he came over to my place to witness it. I ended up losing the battle, because the battle will leave you scrambling to heal your characters just about every round. He had to talk shit, of course.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12 Apr 2019 at 09:49 AM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I usually play on normal because I want to learn the game as intended, then move on to higher difficulties if it's good enough.
    That Normal Mode is the site of creative intent makes a kind of intuitive sense to me too, but don't creators intend different audiences to play different difficulties? Most new games even have little difficulty descriptions that tie intent to audience: This mode is for the casual player, this one is for the player who plays a lot of strategy games, this last one is for the player who has mastered previous games in this series specifically.

Capcom USA would certainly have looked at you, a golden god of Megaman who has published ones of videos about the series on YouTube, and said "Oh yeah, we intend MM2's Hard Mode for this guy."

Let me preempt anyone loading up their UM ACTUALLY cannon--yes, I know the deal with the MM2's single Japanese difficulty level. The point about the role of audience in inferring creative intent still stands.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 12 Apr 2019 at 11:22 AM.

You've hit peak first world problems when people feel entitled to all forms of entertainment being accessible to them.

9. Do you even Game Genie bro
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. I think it just makes sense that a creator would want to give options so more people play their game, but I don't really like how people discuss it like there's a moral responsibility to it.

If you can't beat Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, did the developer do something wrong? If Kirby's Dream Land is too easy, did the developer do something wrong? Maybe more developers should add a hard mode so that their games have more replay value.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!