Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't understand gamer discourse at all

1. My favorite game of this generation is Cuphead, and I'm pretty ok with people turning on whatever bullshit easy mode they need in order to see as much of that game as they can.

I really appreciate that it's hard as nails by default. Most of the power ups in the game are concessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. If the argument is somehow "difficult modes are ableist" then I don't have any time for it, but if it's more about "let's let people enjoy a thing on different levels" I don't see what that hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

I'm still pretty indifferent to their plight. Should a writer make a 3rd grade version of their book? No? Then why should a game company?

4. Companies selling cheat codes as DLC, this pisses me more than an easy mode.

5. Sometimes I want to skip a few levels in a hard game so I can get some practice on the later levels. Sometimes I just want to see things move around the screen and explode. These are quality of life features for sure.
    I think the problem for modern games is that many of them are just half-assed movies gated behind bouts of tedious gaming, and people just want to get through to the end and see everything. If that's the case, I think youtube has that covered.
    There are so many games now, and so much information about them online, that I would say if you don't want to play a stupid hard game, you don't ever need to, but having the option doesn't hurt anyone.

6. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    If the whole purpose of a game is to be brutally hard, then yes. Stop being a pussy or find another game. This one isn't for you.
    This. Not every game has to be piss easy.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

7. One of my main issues with this conversation elsewhere has been people wrapping difficulty modes up with accessibility options, which is totally disingenuous and often sounds like someone simply trying to relate their tastes to a higher moral ground.

The presence or lack of difficulty levels accommodating different tastes is fine, leave it up to the developer. Accessibility options (like in Celeste), though, are more important, should be implemented when possible (even more often than difficulty levels), and should be extremely clearly communicated (like in Celeste).
    Last edited by Tain; 11 Apr 2019 at 11:14 AM.

8. I think it was Galactic Attack (Layer Section) that would only let you play until the 6th level, if you put it on easy. A lot of good that would do me, because I can get through the 6th level on normal difficulty. It’s the 7th level where my ass gets totally wrecked.

9. My thing is nobody should dictate what a developer wants to do with their game. If something in a game is too hard then get good or go play something else. No studio should cater to people crying about how hard or easy a game is. If the game sells well and makes them a lot of money then the point is moot. I always hear people tell me how hard Dark Souls is and yet at the same time it's praised to the ends of the earth.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

10. Most of the hard games that people go on about would be considered average difficulty in the 16-bit days.