Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't understand gamer discourse at all

1. The 8 and 16-bit games had to be difficult, because carts couldn’t hold a ton of content.

I thought the old school difficulty came from the "make the quarters" arcade mentality and carried over into home games for a while.

3. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    If a game doesn't have subtitles, fuck off if you're deaf. This game isn't for you.
    This is kind of the ableist argument that clickbait journalists make, but I don't think it holds much water. The problem with difficulty is that it isn't a concrete concept, and doesn't really match up with other forms of accessibility. What disability is difficulty blocking, exactly? If you're deaf, you could still get by with subtitles and visual cues. If you're colorblind, the game could have alternate colors or unambiguous shapes. If you can't use a controller, you can remap the buttons. I think these are all aspects that should be considered by developers.

Difficulty is part of game design. It's subjective. There is some good discussion to be had around when a game is unfair, or too punishing. I think good game design strives to eliminate the bullshit and only keep the good stuff, but that's subjective, too.

To the initial post, I don't care if someone cheats, they're having fun their own way. But I'd have to take that into account when I hear their opinions. I always used the Konami code to play Contra as a kid, and when I went back as an adult I played it in a much different way and appreciated how the game was laid out. I played Rondo of Blood for the first time last year, and Maria mode completely breaks the game. If someone said they played through Rondo and they only used Maria, I don't know that I'd consider they really played the game, it's such a different experience. But it's fine that it was there, it's a fun little bonus.

To speak to Sekiro, the game that sparked the most recent discussion, the difficulty is key to the game. The point is to get frustrated and anxious, so good for them for hitting the mark.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

4. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The 8 and 16-bit games had to be difficult, because carts couldn’t hold a ton of content.
    I feel like this is still key in FromSoft's games. Speedrunners going for 100% completion can do it in a couple hours. Yes, that's speedrunning, but it's also 100%. If players just walked through the games without stopping they'd be complaining that the games were too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I thought the old school difficulty came from the "make the quarters" arcade mentality and carried over into home games for a while.
    This is also the case, and part of the discussion about good game design. When is a game too punishing to keep you coming back, and when is a game too difficult that it's unfair?
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Yeah, and that carried over to arcade style console games. The only really long games were RPGs.

I'm sorry that the pretty ninja game is so hard it makes people cry. Might I suggest playing Fruit Ninja instead?

7. They will always have the option to just watch it on Twitch. Don't most gamers now watch more than play?

8. I wouldn’t call them gamers. Pewdie Pie has made millions of dollars from people watching him play games.

9. It is a world I do not understand

10. I think you can maintain your artistic vision and also include modes that are optional and make your game more approachable for more people. I don't think there is anything wrong in offering that up. I'm not going to say you have to mandate that and force it on devs to do it, but I do think some games could probably benefit from having some options to their difficulty.

There's some shooters that I would love to just see the end of but I don't have the time to practice them, or the raw talent to ever be that good at them. I think if I had a Metal Slug like option where I could quarter feed and respawn right where I died it would be nice. It probably wouldn't change how I play them 90% of the time, but every now and then just getting to see the end might be nice.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.