Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 24567810 ... LastLast

Thread: Hating On Star Wars Sequels Since 1983

1. Still the best Star Wars movie:

2. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Callianders ranking is correct.
    Partly. I wouldn't put Last Jedi that high. I did enjoy Rogue One tho.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

3. Yeah, Rogue One is neat and then there's that last scene w/Vader in the hallway. That shit gives me chills thinking about it. There's something to be said for knowing how the scene is going to turn out and still being made to worry whether something will go wrong, and I think that encapsulates the whole film too.

Re-watched Solo since the wife forgot most of it. I've got to say, despite its straightforward use of the overdone train heist it's not bad. Paced well, acting's fine, characters are cool. I'm sort of sad that Maul/Q'ira didn't make their ways into Rise of Skywalker somehow. Maybe they'll pop up in Mandalorian?

@Dolemite - that Chinese one is great w/the English matching the subtitles. You've seen the Auralnauts dubs, though, right?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    I'm honestly in no position to hate on Star Wars. I only skipped The Last Jedi because I found The Force Awakens so completely underwhelming. I'm actually re-considering watching TLJ after seeing Knives Out and having such a good time with it, as between KO and Looper I guess Rian Johnson maybe deserves the benefit of the doubt?

But at least TLJ had great reviews going for it. The Rise of Skywalker is in the mid-50's on Rotten Tomatoes right now, and the complaints from those who have seen it thus far are less the lame-ass "SJW Star Wars sucks" nonsense and more major story/pacing/originality issues.
    TLJ was completely idiotic. I’ve liked Rian Johnson’s other work but it’s clear he didn’t want or care enough about the franchise to weave any reasonable amount of continuity in. So for an extended universe movie it completely ruined the build of the last 3 movies. That’s bad.

Knives Out looks good.

5. Rogue One is way underrated. I liked it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    @Dolemite - that Chinese one is great w/the English matching the subtitles. You've seen the Auralnauts dubs, though, right?
    No, I haven't. But I just watched the bit with Obi-Wan farting in the elevator with Anakin ("do you like it?") and I'm ashamed to say I chuckled. I'll have to watch them all when I get a sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Knives Out looks good.
    Oh, it is. Great take on the ol' who-dun-it genre. Check it out.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Yeah, Rogue One is neat and then there's that last scene w/Vader in the hallway. That shit gives me chills thinking about it. There's something to be said for knowing how the scene is going to turn out and still being made to worry whether something will go wrong, and I think that encapsulates the whole film too.

Re-watched Solo since the wife forgot most of it. I've got to say, despite its straightforward use of the overdone train heist it's not bad. Paced well, acting's fine, characters are cool. I'm sort of sad that Maul/Q'ira didn't make their ways into Rise of Skywalker somehow. Maybe they'll pop up in Mandalorian?

Sadly Maul won't make it to Mandalorian, he's canonically dead at that point. Obi-wan kills him in a two second lightsaber battle in Rebels.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

7. Maul in the Obi series would be cool. I don’t really care if it screws with carton continuity.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    From what I hear, you're right, John. Not having seen it yet (so I could be talking out of my ass), but it feels like they totally just pulled Palpatine out of their asses for this movie...there's NO WAY he was in the plans when they made TFA or TLJ, IMO. In almost every review I've read, his inclusion is the most criticized aspect of the movie. Would you agree, or is it not that bad? I mean, he fact that he has an unexplained, hidden fleet of star destroyers all equipped with DEATH STAR SUPERLASERS seems way silly.

*EDIT* Just read an interview with Ian McDiarmid confirmed that Lucas considered Palpatine 100% dead. But apparently Lucas also planned on doubling down on his midichlorians bullshit in the treatments he originally wrote for the new trilogy (that Disney tossed in the trash), so take that as you will.
    Sorry TNL has barely been working for me.

The Palpatine stuff is very much pulled out of no where, and that message that alerts people to him still being around is something we should have seen broadcasted. Him being alive still though and getting a fleet together is something carried over from the old EU (as has been pointed out). Honestly this should have been movie 8 (the reveal of him and the new fleet). Though for me it should have been Thrawn coming out of the unknown region with the fleet. IMHO it made no sense for the new resistance to be on the run in 8. Blowing up a base the size of Starkiller would have devastated like 90% of the First Order's soldiers/personnel. 8 should have been the resistance chasing down the last of the First Order and BAM suddenly Palpatine/Thrawn comes out of hiding in the Unknown Region with a giant ass fleet.

I don't think his inclusion, and the fleet is that bad IMHO. In a way it makes sense, and honestly it flows better in the film, than it does just stating it as a fact. That's me though.

I think not having an outline as a base for all 3 movies and following that going into production of 7, really hurt the trilogy. Yes I know Lucas did that too, but I feel like once New Hope did well and he knew he was making a sequel, he outlined the next 2 movies, so there is at least more consistency between them.

Honestly this movie almost acts like TLJ didn't happen, and like there is a hidden 8th film that we never saw, but they're basing the events that lead up to this movie on.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. Too many scumbags in suits interfering and trying to put their stamp on it, I'm sure.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Sorry TNL has barely been working for me.

The Palpatine stuff is very much pulled out of no where, and that message that alerts people to him still being around is something we should have seen broadcasted. Him being alive still though and getting a fleet together is something carried over from the old EU (as has been pointed out). Honestly this should have been movie 8 (the reveal of him and the new fleet). Though for me it should have been Thrawn coming out of the unknown region with the fleet. IMHO it made no sense for the new resistance to be on the run in 8. Blowing up a base the size of Starkiller would have devastated like 90% of the First Order's soldiers/personnel. 8 should have been the resistance chasing down the last of the First Order and BAM suddenly Palpatine/Thrawn comes out of hiding in the Unknown Region with a giant ass fleet.
    Shit, YOU should have written this new trilogy. You've already done a better job than Disney.

I think not having an outline as a base for all 3 movies and following that going into production of 7, really hurt the trilogy. Yes I know Lucas did that too, but I feel like once New Hope did well and he knew he was making a sequel, he outlined the next 2 movies, so there is at least more consistency between them.

Honestly this movie almost acts like TLJ didn't happen, and like there is a hidden 8th film that we never saw, but they're basing the events that lead up to this movie on.
    Again, I can't understand how a juggernaut like Disney can spend a fortune buying Star Wars and then start a new trilogy without an overarching storyline already in place, worked on by a specific, dedicated writing team to ensure consistency and cohesiveness. It's like they just let each director basically do whatever the fuck they wanted. Amazing.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww