Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 35678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Hating On Star Wars Sequels Since 1983

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Shit, YOU should have written this new trilogy. You've already done a better job than Disney.
    Thanks, I wish I had too, that would have been a nice pay day. I feel like part of the problem too was putting some one on it that just didn't seem to get/understand/appreciate the characters and their history. I'm not going to get into a long TLJ thing, but I really don't think Rian Johnson had the first clue about any of that shit, and just wanted to tell a space story so he crammed star wars into an idea he already had.

Again, I can't understand how a juggernaut like Disney can spend a fortune buying Star Wars and then start a new trilogy without an overarching storyline already in place, worked on by a specific, dedicated writing team to ensure consistency and cohesiveness. It's like they just let each director basically do whatever the fuck they wanted. Amazing.
    Yeah I don't know either. There's some rumors/speculation supposedly from the inside that suggests Disney just gave Kathleen Kennedy the keys and trusted in her to make sure everything went well. Who knows though, since they seemed to have enough control to completely throw out George's original sequel trilogy outline. I don't know why they didn't just use that as a base either, get rid of the supposed over abundance of midi-chlorian stuff since it upsets people and go from there. I think George is a pretty mediocre director, and definitely can not write dialog, but as a general idea man he's pretty good. Granted not everything is perfect but its why I say use those as a base and go from there. At least then you'd have a general outline of where the story is going.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    The concept of Palpatine returning from the dead and attacking with a fleet of super powerful ships isn't new.

I was going to mention that I’d read one of those Star Wars novels where a clone of Palpatine existed. He was a little off, because he was a clone.

3. I didn't know there were novels of that but I read those comics. My memory is pretty crappy but there were definitely parts of those Emperor scenes that were visually familiar.

4. Oh yeah. The Palpatine that Luke ran into was a clone of a clone. He was pretty much a flawed copy of the original.

I’m out of town, so I don’t know which book I own, that has the Palpatine clone in it. The Thrawn series does mention Palpatine’s hidden elite fleet, which he plans on using to defeat the new republic.
    Last edited by gamevet; 26 Dec 2019 at 01:04 PM.

5. There are a couple different stories of Palpatine being reincarnated in the non-canon books. There's a goofy kids book where he comes back with a third eye.

6. The fleet in thrawns books (if you're talking about the original thrawn books) was not a secret Palpatine fleet it was an old republic fleet sent to the outer rim to do stuff with a bunch of jedi on board that was sabotaged by Palps because evil. It proved to be a fleet of Dreadnaught class frigates, not very powerful, which were able to be remote controlled, which had long since been pillaged anyway.

7. the burger king is a worse dictator than emperor palpatine

8. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Thanks, I wish I had too, that would have been a nice pay day. I feel like part of the problem too was putting some one on it that just didn't seem to get/understand/appreciate the characters and their history. I'm not going to get into a long TLJ thing, but I really don't think Rian Johnson had the first clue about any of that shit, and just wanted to tell a space story so he crammed star wars into an idea he already had.
    I kind of got the opposite impression, Johnson seemed to at least be trying to bring in some new stuff conceptually. Episode 7 and 9 are primarily concerned with showing off action sequences and doing the bare minimum in between.

I think 9 was ok overall. Did I already post in here? Like it is even more rushed than 7, but it’s got an outline there that could have been fleshed out into a better thing. What little character development there was going in, doesn’t really pay off. Kylo Ren turns good because he remembers his dad? Did Rey infect him with good guy midichlorians when she healed him? He literally doesn’t even say anything after he turns. Rey’s connection to Palpatine makes sense in the way Luke was connected to Vader, but we never really see any conflict in her, like she ever considered she’d follow his footsteps? At least Kylo gave some appeal to go dark in the last movie.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

9. Rey is shown at multiple times during the trilogy to be a very angry person. The only thing that stops her from killing Kylo in the first movie is the earth literally separates her from him just before she does. She also goes into the dark side rabbit hole that scared Luke as if it were nothing in the second one. She DOES give in to Palps to save her friends, but Ben shows up and renews hope before she commits. There are little seeds sprinkled around the trilogy.

10. They should’ve had Darth Vader himself appear to Kylo. Han and Leia already tried and failed. Luke failed. Would’ve been a bit stronger to have his grandfather, the guy he idolized as a villain, bestow him the turning words of wisdom. I like ShinJohn’s idea for Rebels being strong in TLJ way more than what Rian Johnson did. TLJ made zero sense and shook the foundation of Star Wars as a fun blockbuster wayyy too much and the Solo paid the price for the letdown IMO.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 30 Dec 2019 at 12:46 AM.