Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 467891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Hating On Star Wars Sequels Since 1983

1. Solo isn't the only thing that paid the price for it, opening weekend for TRoS was disappointing too. All it takes is one bad movie to turn a large significance of the fanbase off, which it seems more and more what happened with TLJ. I'm sure TRoS will make money, but instead of making back its production and marketing budget in like 2 weeks it'll take it longer, and just not be as big of a success as it should have been.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    They should’ve had Darth Vader himself appear to Kylo. Han and Leia already tried and failed. Luke failed. Would’ve been a bit stronger to have his grandfather, the guy he idolized as a villain, bestow him the turning words of wisdom.
    I agree 100 percent. If Hayden Christensen had shown up as a force ghost (fans would want Vader proper, of course, but it wouldn't make sense) and told Kylo about the road he's going down, it would have worked so much better.

Such poor writing in this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Solo isn't the only thing that paid the price for it
    Despite all the theories ("SJW pandering!" "TLJ backlash!" and so on), I think the main reason Solo failed is that no one on the fucking planet cared about the idea of a young Han Solo movie, or even just a Han Solo movie in general without Harrison Ford. No one gives a shit how Han won the Falcon or met Chewie.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. Or maybe it's just that Solo and TRoS are both shitty movies which is why they have done poorly. I'd watch TLJ 10x over before I will watch that crap again.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Or maybe it's just that Solo and TRoS are both shitty movies which is why they have done poorly.
    Um...poorly, you say? Sure, Solo flopped hard but TRoS is performing strongly (albeit not quite as strongly as the previous two films) and is on-track to easily break a billion+ worldwide, so I'd hardly call that "poorly." Initial interest out of the gate can definitely play a role in a movie's success, despite the perceived quality (or lack thereof).

BTW, I'm not arguing that Solo or TRoS are good in any way...from what I hear (didn't see 'em), they're both equally shitty.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 30 Dec 2019 at 02:15 PM.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Um...poorly, you say? Sure, Solo flopped hard but TRoS is performing strongly (albeit not quite as strongly as the previous two films) and is on-track to easily break a billion+ worldwide, so I'd hardly call that "poorly." Initial interest out of the gate can definitely play a role in a movie's success, despite the perceived quality (or lack thereof).

BTW, I'm not arguing that Solo or TRoS are good in any way...from what I hear (didn't see 'em), they're both equally shitty.
    All of this talk of "flops" and "hits" needs to be taken with a Starkiller Base-size grain of salt. TRoS had the worst opening of the three "Skywalker Saga" films, but it will still make gobs of money. And even though Solo is widely deemed to have flopped, it too made hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office, just not a sufficiently high number for Disney's liking.

The question is: was Disney's strategy of rebooting the new trilogy midstream and rewriting it according it to Reddit's crazed specifications a sound financial business strategy? Results are mixed.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

6. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    And even though Solo is widely deemed to have flopped, it too made hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office, just not a sufficiently high number for Disney's liking.
    No, Solo was literally a flop. It lost money.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 30 Dec 2019 at 04:46 PM.

7. Ehhhhh, studios are usually up to serious accounting fuckery when it comes to claiming things lost money to weasel out of profit-sharing with people that put it in their contracts. $500+ million WW is certainly soft for a SW movie, but a flop? Nah.

In fact, here's an old article about David Prowse never getting residuals because the studio deemed Return of the flippin' Jedi 'unprofitable'.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    Ehhhhh, studios are usually up to serious accounting fuckery when it comes to claiming things lost money to weasel out of profit-sharing with people that put it in their contracts.
    No doubt.

$500+ million WW is certainly soft for a SW movie, but a flop? Nah.
    Solo allegedly didn't even break $400 mil WW.

9. Chump change.

10. When your budget is $275 mil + marketing, it kinda is.