Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Hating On Star Wars Sequels Since 1983

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    When your budget is $275 mil + marketing, it kinda is.
    Yeah, but when you're banking that kind of marketing budget for every picture, and you've already made hundreds of millions of dollars worldwide on the movie to begin with, a $50 million dollar net loss isn't a "flop", it's a tax write off.

Relative terms and all that, sure.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Despite all the theories ("SJW pandering!" "TLJ backlash!" and so on), I think the main reason Solo failed is that no one on the fucking planet cared about the idea of a young Han Solo movie, or even just a Han Solo movie in general without Harrison Ford. No one gives a shit how Han won the Falcon or met Chewie.
    I didn’t find the SJ stuff in Solo beyond reasonable like it was in TLJ. Holdo was a SJW-marketed character and pretty much the only new character of worth in TLJ. The movie just went out of its way to say didn’t want to have any fun. Cowboy heroics wasn’t welcome. Except that suuucks. This is a SW movie — the one people go see to see exactly ridiculous heroics. It also didn’t know what to do w it’s side characters and largely reinterpreted Luke’s character as a curmudgeonly heel to an audience of crickets. Ghost Luke was bad. The throne fight was pretty neat. Space witch Leia was a bit much. Though TRoS had its fair share of poor Leia usage too (I don’t think we needed ninja Jedi Leia. I’d much prefer her to just be a thoughtful general). Also poor Phasma really got Boba Fett’d in TLJ. But TRoS the movie wasn’t shy about sending its characters on adventures to new places (that thankfully weren’t there as superficial social commentary... Canto Bight), or afraid of being a bit weird, or letting its characters cut loose with solo heroics to solve problems. It felt right despite rushing the writing for pivotal character moments.

TLJ had a few neat moments (hyperspace slice was epic). But it wasn’t an interesting movie or a good fit for the universe. It didn’t embody the spirit everyone likes to feel going to see a SW movie. It felt somehow like an apology for the type of movie Star Wars is. It uprooted all of the story threads started in TFA leaving us w a trilogy suffering from split personality.

Thankfully we have Mandalorian right now. It’s enough to keep my interest in Star Wars.

3. Yeah, god forbid a series do something original and different and try to put some actual thought into character arcs.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I didn’t find the SJ stuff in Solo beyond reasonable like it was in TLJ. Holdo was a SJW-marketed character
    "SJW marketed"

lol

Sometimes I'm glad this board is almost dead.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

5. Drew has been a shitbag for many years though so it’s not surprising hearing that crap from him.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. I really appreciate TLJ for setting out to defy some expectations after the excruciatingly formulaic TFA, but it deciding to turn right on nearly every possible beat the audience expected it to go left just became another shade of predictability in itself.

Luke's gonna train Rey! SIKE Luke don't give a fuck.
    Poe's gonna get a good hero moment! SIKE Poe screwed everything up.
    We're gonna learn Rey's backstory! SIKE she doesn't have one.
    We're gonna learn Snoke's backstory! SIKE he dead with zero exposition.
    These old Jedi texts should offer some interesting revelations! SIKE we burnin' them fuckers.
    Phasma's gonna redeem herself after that last shitty outing! SIKE she fell in a hole.
    Finn's gonna do something of value this film! SIKE no he isn't.
    Luke's gonna go out in a badass action scene! SIKE Luke's gonna die doing a low-level David Copperfield trick.

Not only did they fly in the face of the audience's expectations, but it did so in a way that consistently erred on the side of disappointing those expectations. I'm not saying all these things were garbage and they should have gone the path of least resistance on all of them, despite this diatribe I actually like TLJ okay myself, but like, maybe pick 2 big script-flips and give those some air? To paraphrase Syndrome, "When everything's a subversion, nothing will be."

7. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Yeah, god forbid a series do something original and different and try to put some actual thought into character arcs.
    I hear this all the time as if “original” automatically means good. It doesn’t. Star Wars movies come with a set of expectations. If you’re going to be subversive you need to do a great job of it. TLJ didn’t. Ultimately it fell in a dull middle ground. Not fun enough for a blockbuster or different enough to get people thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Drew has been a shitbag for many years though so it’s not surprising hearing that crap from him.
    Wasn’t even interpreting it negatively as a general concept and you still react like the drizzling shits. Just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    I really appreciate TLJ for setting out to defy some expectations after the excruciatingly formulaic TFA, but it deciding to turn right on nearly every possible beat the audience expected it to go left just became another shade of predictability in itself.

Luke's gonna train Rey! SIKE Luke don't give a fuck.
    Poe's gonna get a good hero moment! SIKE Poe screwed everything up.
    We're gonna learn Rey's backstory! SIKE she doesn't have one.
    We're gonna learn Snoke's backstory! SIKE he dead with zero exposition.
    These old Jedi texts should offer some interesting revelations! SIKE we burnin' them fuckers.
    Phasma's gonna redeem herself after that last shitty outing! SIKE she fell in a hole.
    Finn's gonna do something of value this film! SIKE no he isn't.
    Luke's gonna go out in a badass action scene! SIKE Luke's gonna die doing a low-level David Copperfield trick.

Not only did they fly in the face of the audience's expectations, but it did so in a way that consistently erred on the side of disappointing those expectations. I'm not saying all these things were garbage and they should have gone the path of least resistance on all of them, despite this diatribe I actually like TLJ okay myself, but like, maybe pick 2 big script-flips and give those some air? To paraphrase Syndrome, "When everything's a subversion, nothing will be."
    Ya I think this is well put. It set out on a rampage that ultimately didn’t IMPROVE the movie. People just rub their junk about it being SOOOooo different. As if they’re not watching a blockbuster Star Wars following a solid kickoff from TFA. If they let TLJ director kickstart the tone of the trilogy maybe it could’ve worked. Just not after it had been set.

Say what you will about Marvel but they hit dingers (and a few doubles) out for almost 10 years. That’s impressive. Star Wars should be doing it too.

I liked the new robot mask girl character in TRoS. She was interesting.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 31 Dec 2019 at 05:53 PM.

8. Using SJW to describe something is interpreting it negatively and mocking it. So yes, we are correct to view you as a shitbag.

9. For mocking a disappointing SW film?

10. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Using SJW to describe something is interpreting it negatively and mocking it. So yes, we are correct to view you as a shitbag.
    Sounds like bbobb's been white knighting for some transsexual libertarian truck-driving jugglers lately.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww