Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Konami Announces TurboGrafx-16 Minis!

1. I'm not buying this...
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

2. Would be really nice if the highly-sought-after graphic adventure game that requires understanding of the text to play was localized here.

Doesn't seem like that big an ask, considering they already have an official translation they could retro-fit onto it.

3. I'll be fine completely ignoring that one game if it means all the money went towards making the emulation as close to perfect as possible.
    But if it's more Playstation Classic than SNES Classic, I'll BK it too.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'll be fine completely ignoring that one game if it means all the money went towards making the emulation as close to perfect as possible.
    But if it's more Playstation Classic than SNES Classic, I'll BK it too.
    It's not even that. I played around with a Turbo Graphic 16 when I was younger but I have 0 attachment or fond memories of this system. I know a lot of people put it on a pedestal but my better gaming days were the Genesis and Super Nintendo. This will sell ok as long as the emulation is solid but yeah it's a hard pass for me.

5. Put it on a pedestal? I guess.
    I mostly see people saying,"this machine that no one really knew about actually had some good stuff and shouldn't be put in the same category of also-rans like Jaguar, CDi, and 3DO."

It's weird to me that someone could be a Genesis/SNES fan and find nothing to enjoy on that TG16/PCE list but whatever.

Despite the untranslated inclusions and JJ & Jeff, there aren't really any bad choices in the mini. It covers a variety and even has SuperGrafx games.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Put it on a pedestal? I guess.
    I mostly see people saying,"this machine that no one really knew about actually had some good stuff and shouldn't be put in the same category of also-rans like Jaguar, CDi, and 3DO."
    I'd agree if I hadn't seen so many people over the years praise that system so much. I can respect that those guys love it but my attachment to it just isn't there.

And NZ it's not that I didn't like some of the games on it but like I said before my exposure to the TG16 system was limited at best. I have memories of Devil's Crush and Ys and some random obscure Zelda clone called Neptopia or something? I'm not knocking the system at all just I've never really explored what it had to offer since pickings in my area when it was out was slim to none.

Oh I do remember hating how short the controller cords were back then.

Edit: A few other factors came up to mind just now after I wrote this.

There wasn't a lot of support for it where I lived which was Austin, TX at the time. Any shops like Babbages that had it kept the damn thing in stock but way out of place with Nintendo dominating shelf space. Toys R' US also had it but as well the system and games weren't easy to hunt for along with the fact that the internet wasn't a thing back then so you were hard pressed to decide what to spend your hard earned money on when all you could take at face value was information either by word out of mouth, a random gaming magazine like Gamepro, EGM, or what was printed on the back of the game boxes.

It's not like I wanted to judge the system as a bad product but buying a 3rd console when I already owned a Genesis and a Super Nintendo wasn't something I was willing to commit to when I had no real knowledge of the system outside of the few games I tried.

I know one person who owned a Turbo CD system and even then he played a few CD games but since he had a friend in Japan, he got a lot of import titles for the system as well which at the time was a turn off for me since I saw more untranslated games then I saw U.S. releases.

In the end to me it just felt like the support wasn't there when you were comparing it to what Nintendo and Sega were doing at that time.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 13 Jul 2019 at 01:50 PM.

8. Sapphire being on it is huge, that'll probably be enough to get me to buy it.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. TG-16 was about as common as Amiga or Lynx in my experience. There were a few people in town that had them, but none of the video stores in my town rented the games.
    I had a PC Engine and a couple of games when I was in college, but once the novelty wore off I sold it.

10. That US lineup is a fuckin' dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!