Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 689101112 LastLast

Thread: Konami Announces TurboGrafx-16 Minis!

1. I wouldn't call that six face buttons... that controller was a nightmare for fighting games
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

2. It wasn't a great controller for any type of game, but I'd say it's better for games that use the dpad rather than the awful analog stick. I don't mind playing Mortal Kombat Trilogy on the N64 controller, at least.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    For me it was the lack of fighting games, but there are so many genres that the N64 is lacking in. It has some fantastic racing/driving games and 3D platformers, but that's about it. I don't think any publisher wanted to take risks when the carts were so expensive, so we just got more of what sold well for them the year before.

How weird is it that the only Nintendo console that has six face buttons also doesn't have a single Capcom fighter, especially when PS1, Saturn, and DC got dozens?
    It was pretty much at the top for 1st person shooters as well.

4. N64 has Tetrisphere (stolen from the Jaguar), and that's pretty much all I needed (along with Waverace).

5. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post

How weird is it that the only Nintendo console that has six face buttons also doesn't have a single Capcom fighter, especially when PS1, Saturn, and DC got dozens?
    A lot of reason for this -

N64 was cartridge based
    The hardware was more suited for 3D than Capcom's 2D fighters
    The N64 wasn't that successful in Japan
    CD formats were more cost effective to develop for and Saturn, in particular, had great hardware for their arcade fighters
    Nintendo's 3rd party agreements were onerous

6. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    A lot of reason for this -

N64 was cartridge based
    The hardware was more suited for 3D than Capcom's 2D fighters
    The N64 wasn't that successful in Japan
    CD formats were more cost effective to develop for and Saturn, in particular, had great hardware for their arcade fighters
    Nintendo's 3rd party agreements were onerous
    The last point you made is 100% true. Nintendo in today's market would promptly told to get fuck off hard if they pulled that kinda shit they did in the NES days.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

7. A lot of publishers told them to fuck off back then judging by the library.

8. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    A lot of publishers told them to fuck off back then judging by the library.
    Well thankfully Konami did find a way around that shit. I'm sure other devs did the same thing too.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

9. Konami mostly put some B team bullshit on N64.

10. I agree with that. Those Castlevania games are considered garbage.