Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: Konami Announces TurboGrafx-16 Minis!

1. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    That US lineup is a fuckin' dog.
    In general yes, but you get all the Japanese games as well.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Didn't Turbografix have a hot Galaga game? Why isn't that on here?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Didn't Turbografix have a hot Galaga game? Why isn't that on here?
    Galaga '90. I have that game, with the box.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I'd agree if I hadn't seen so many people over the years praise that system so much. I can respect that those guys love it but my attachment to it just isn't there.

And NZ it's not that I didn't like some of the games on it but like I said before my exposure to the TG16 system was limited at best. I have memories of Devil's Crush and Ys and some random obscure Zelda clone called Neptopia or something? I'm not knocking the system at all just I've never really explored what it had to offer since pickings in my area when it was out was slim to none.

Oh I do remember hating how short the controller cords were back then.

Edit: A few other factors came up to mind just now after I wrote this.

There wasn't a lot of support for it where I lived which was Austin, TX at the time. Any shops like Babbages that had it kept the damn thing in stock but way out of place with Nintendo dominating shelf space. Toys R' US also had it but as well the system and games weren't easy to hunt for along with the fact that the internet wasn't a thing back then so you were hard pressed to decide what to spend your hard earned money on when all you could take at face value was information either by word out of mouth, a random gaming magazine like Gamepro, EGM, or what was printed on the back of the game boxes.

It's not like I wanted to judge the system as a bad product but buying a 3rd console when I already owned a Genesis and a Super Nintendo wasn't something I was willing to commit to when I had no real knowledge of the system outside of the few games I tried.

I know one person who owned a Turbo CD system and even then he played a few CD games but since he had a friend in Japan, he got a lot of import titles for the system as well which at the time was a turn off for me since I saw more untranslated games then I saw U.S. releases.

In the end to me it just felt like the support wasn't there when you were comparing it to what Nintendo and Sega were doing at that time.
    I had several places I could go to get and rent TG-16 games. Floppy Joe's in Plano rented Amiga, Apple II and TG-16 games, along with the usual suspects. There were 2 MicroPlay stores within 10 miles of where I'd lived. The one in North Carolton had 2 Asian ladies that were always arguing with each other, over everything. I almost didn't like going there, because of the way they acted, but the prices were good. I got my boxed TG-16 from the Plano store for $20, and I don't recall where I got my boxed Turbo Booster for $5.

I rented games like Bonk's Revenge from Floppy Joe's, and I only ended up buying 8 games for the console. I definitely thought that Bonk was a lame, over-hyped title. Military Madness, on the other hand, was one of my favorite games from the 16-bit era, and a couple of my stoner friends and I played the shit out of that title.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 13 Jul 2019 at 05:36 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I had several places I could go to get and rent TG-16 games. Floppy Joe's in Plano rented Amiga, Apple II and TG-16 games, along with the usual suspects. There were 2 MicroPlay stores within 10 miles of where I'd lived. The one in North Carolton had 2 Asian ladies that were always arguing with each other, over everything. I almost didn't like going there, because of the way they acted, but the prices were good. I got my boxed TG-16 from the Plano store for $20, and I don't recall where I got my boxed Turbo Booster for $5.

I rented games like Bonk's Revenge from Floppy Joe's, and I only ended up buying 8 games for the console. I definitely thought that Bonk was a lame, over-hyped title. Military Madness, on the other hand, was one of my favorite games from the 16-bit era, and a couple of my stoner friends and I played the shit out of that title.

I recall Floppy Joe's but I don't remember if we had one in Austin. hindsight is a bitch I would say these days. My old friend who still lives in Austin was a huge Amiga nut and still has his 1000 with his old 1084s somewhere in a closest. I think he said it doesn't work anymore but I've been telling him people would buy it for a lot of money if it was an easy fix. I think he got an Amiga 3000 also with a Video Toaster if anyone remembers that thing.

But yeah back on the subject at hand. My desire for this thing isn't there. The Genesis mini I'm totally getting but this isn't an omg I gotta have it thing.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

5. I thought the Video Toaster only worked with the A2000 and A4000.
    The A3000 is a cool looking machine, though.

6. I could be wrong it was so god damn long ago but I'm like 90% certain he got a 3000.

Edit: One of my favorite monitors was the Commodore 1702 Model. To this day I always thought it was a sharp as fuck picture when I played NES games on it.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 14 Jul 2019 at 04:34 PM.

7. Here are the pre-order links on Amazon Japan for anyone who cares. Currently only open to Amazon Prime members, but you can easily make (and later cancel) a 30-day trial.

PC-Engine Mini
    Core Grafx
    Turbografx-16 Mini

Also, all of the accessories on the US store:
    Turbo Tap
    PC-Engine style controller
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

8. Are you buying it Shidoshi?

9. So does the Core Grafx have the same games as the regular PC Engine?

10. No there is one game different. The core grafx and TG16 have Salamander and the White one has Tokimeki memorial.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.