Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silly/Stupid Online Habits

1. Silly/Stupid Online Habits

The thread can certainly encompass more than this, but I find myself going to certain places out of habit more than actual desire.

I check Hardcoregaming 101 every couple of days even though the writing is so bad that I rarely make it further than a paragraph into the rare article that actually interests me.
    I check instantwatcher.com every day to see what's new on Netflix even though I cancelled Netflix a month ago.
    I check CAG several times a day even though I follow Wario on Twitter and thus see all the deals there before they're posted on CAG.

I'd be happy if I could just stop clicking those sites and going there, but I've been doing so for years now and it's almost ritual. Deleting bookmarks, etc doesn't seem to help. It's weird.

2. I check TNL.

3. Twitter is my biggest vice. It's just useful enough in terms of bringing an article, book, or CAG deal to my attention or serving up lesson plan fodder to keep me coming back, but it's a productivity and psychological hellhole the remaining 99 out of 100 scrolling sessions.

I also occasionally go down holes of checking ebay prices for games I have or had, thinking "I should sell this" and then not doing, and feeling regretful about not doing it in the case of the former, and "I shouldn't have sold this" and feeling regretful about doing it in the case of the latter.

I know myself well enough to know that if I had Facebook, I'd pore over posts from old coworkers and classmates and experience totally new flavors of regret.

TNL and it's successor occasionally make me mad, but I'm getting better at taking breaks when that happens.

4. I stopped checking news on my phone a long time ago, but if I'm sitting in front of a PC, I find myself doing it out of habit whenever I'm not quite sure what to do next. It's almost completely pointless, but sometimes I find out about deals or events I didn't know about.

I've been spending a ton of time on youtube the past couple weeks. I'd like to stop doing that before it becomes routine, but Tim Pool is so mad, and New Jack did so many shoot videos.

6. I still check /b/ for ylyl threads.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. /r/relationships. I hate that stupid subreddit and it stresses me out, but it's like 100 advice columns at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I've been spending a ton of time on youtube the past couple weeks. I'd like to stop doing that before it becomes routine, but Tim Pool is so mad, and New Jack did so many shoot videos.
    I give you a lot of credit for this bc I watched youtube for about 2 hours today, and holy fuck I cannot stand the format of 99% of channels. preamble for like 10 minutes, rambling content for 20, and a 5 minute outro. It's like.....every bad academic paper, except add a lot of "hey everybody's," COMMENT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE, and jump cuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

There is a lot of awful shit out there, granted, but I'm for real watching 90% wrestling shoots.

10. I went down that non-stop wrestling shoot road a few years ago. Now I barely remember any of it and I'll probably do it again in a few years.