Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: This Month's Haul: August (It's too damn hot!) 2019

1. GameStop is opening a new store by my house. We just wired the place for voice and data, and we'll be returning to setup their point of sales.

2. it’s a good gimmick. Most prices are low to begin with, and if someone wants cash, well, they aint getting much. $12 after the bonus for shit they sell for $50.

3. Gamestop is done, I don't know how they are even opening new store. They lost millions the past few quarters, no sane person will give them any funding and we all seen the decline of physical media. I am not even sure they can survive till Xmas at this point.

I imagine the mark up on pops is pretty good

5. just like when people used to announce nintendo’s pending doom, people fail to acknowledge that Gamestop has a ton of cash on hand. With the new systems coming soon, theyll see a bump. Whether they last beyond the next gen though remains to be seen. They’re doing some smart redundancy cutting within management, but they need to do it with their stores. Like with my place, it used to be fine that we had 4 stores within 20 minutes of each other, but now all we’re doing is competing with each other to pull sales from an ever shrinking pool of people (the ones that will buy a physical game).

6. I’ve always enjoyed going to Gamestop. Sometimes you get some good trade in offers.
    Problem for them is I buy all my Xbox stuff digitally now and all my multiplatform games are on Xbox too. The Xbox gameshare is just too damn amazing.
    Not only does Gamestop not get my new game money, they also get nothing from selling my used stuff. I still might go there once in a great while but I don’t even go there for PS4 and Switch games anymore. Amazon is just too easy.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

7. I don't trade things in much anymore, so I guess I'm not their demographic. As a game store they are terrible. Their accessory and game selection is generally awful and at least half of the floor space in every store I've been to in the past few years is full of shitty toys and collectibles.

8. kedawa’s observance is a direct effect of mog (and most modern gamebuyers) habits. Gotta fill space with something, and people arent trading in like they used to. It’s all tied together. Thanks to how quickly shit drops, no one wants to carry much inventory. I dont carry new controllers anymore because the walmart across the street sells them at wholesale prices. What’s the point of carrying shit when literally everyone is selling it 20% under msrp just to be competitive.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't trade things in much anymore, so I guess I'm not their demographic. As a game store they are terrible. Their accessory and game selection is generally awful and at least half of the floor space in every store I've been to in the past few years is full of shitty toys and collectibles.
    I don’t mind that a lot of the store has a bunch of toys and collectibles. I get that they have to make money somewhere else now and the crap is kinda fun to look at. Aren’t they trying to get back into the retro market? Would be kinda nice if somebody actually carried old carts and cleaned them up properly. At least they would have some good sales on the old stuff once in awhile. I can’t stand when the mom and pop stores will look the price of shit up online when I’m standing there asking for it.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

10. if you were into buying stocks, would you want a price based on a year ago or a current one. There’s a chance you’d get a good deal, but there’s also a chance you’d be overpaying because the stock has dropped since then. Games are the same way now. I’ve often said that from when I started doing this stuff in ‘99 right until about 2012 you could ask me the price of just about anything and I could give you a fairly accurate number. Game prices, especially vintage ones didnt change all that much. Internet/ebay/youtube changed all that. Sure Mom/Pop should be able to spit out a price based on what they paid for it, but would you want to sell a game for the $15 it was going for 6 months ago- but then Joe Youtube did a video on it and now it goes for $100?

It really boils down to, if you’re not willing to pay a market price for a game, then going to a mom/pop place for a game probably isnt what you should be doing.