Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: This Month's Haul: August (It's too damn hot!) 2019

1. Maybe you’re in a rush and the 30 seconds it takes to look stuff up isnt gping to work in your schedule?
    90% of the stuff in my store has a price on it (or a price sheet if I dont want to ruin packaging by putting a sticker on it), but for that volatile 10% the feedback I get from people upset that I’m looking it up is “I was hoping to get it cheaper.”

2. I don't mind that in a mom and pop store, I understand it and get it. Honestly the main place by me is really good about having things priced. They may not always make sense, in both directions, but everything is priced. The only time I find the look up thing super annoying is at a convention. Specially the smaller booths that have like maybe 50 games tops. If I'm at a con and I ask how much something is and the person pulls out their smart phone, its like ok never mind not interested any more, because 9 times out of 10 they take ebay price and add 10 - 20%.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. yeah, that would annoy me. But it’s why I dont care about conventions. Pretty sure it used to be that things would get cheaper as the weekend passed because sellers (who were mostly local) didnt want to take stuff home. Now it seems like sellers travel the country from one con to the next so dont care if everything moves or not- they’ll wait until the next show.

I love, and when I say love, I mean hate retired sellers like that.

I'm convinced they are retired and working some form of tax fraud. Like they took out a business loan to buy all the games they want and have no actual plan to sell them. They just wanted the games. And to write off their loss for travel and hotels and no sales. Probably not paying themselves. Then they claim a total loss before the third year and give the games to themself as payment . As long as they can do it before the third year the business isnt reclassified as a hobby business.

I just see it way too much for it to not be intentional. Gun shows. Flee markets. Car shows. There is always these guys with pie in the sky prices. There is no way they really want to sell anything.

Its tax fraud or their wife wont let them enjoy life so they lied and said it was a business.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    yeah, that would annoy me. But it’s why I dont care about conventions. Pretty sure it used to be that things would get cheaper as the weekend passed because sellers (who were mostly local) didn't want to take stuff home. Now it seems like sellers travel the country from one con to the next so dont care if everything moves or not- they’ll wait until the next show.
    That is for sure the case now. There are a few sellers that I have seen at every single Convention I've gone to in NJ, PA, CT, and NY. There is one dude who only deals in import stuff, and if you aren't a youtuber his prices are ridiculous. Every youtuber though gets an awesome deal from him. Sorry dude I'm not spending 40 bucks on your shit brown copy of SoM3 that wiped some one's ass, when dude 2 booths over has it mint for 10. I've been at his booth too when some one like Ian or another youtuber is there making a deal, its a fraction of what he's charging others. When others are trying to make deals he barely budges.

I don't know I remember going to local comic book conventions and the idea was you paid to get in and we're going to make deals and get this stuff sold. VG conventions seem like well I'm charging you a 10 - 20% premium because you don't have to wait for shipping from ebay. I rarely buy anything at this cons, cause everything is overpriced.

I'm enjoying going more for the panels now.

If KoF reads this, are you going to the one in CT or AVGC this year?
    Last edited by Shin Johnpv; 18 Aug 2019 at 07:47 PM.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

6. I saw this at the Midwest Gaming Classic and the Portland Retro Gaming Classic last year. All these vendors selling everything in protective cases and behind glass windows. I sat and watched people coming in with their kids and thought "these are the people who love this hobby, and the vendors are pricing these people right out of it." It's not sustainable, and I can't wait for this fucking bubble to burst.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I saw this at the Midwest Gaming Classic and the Portland Retro Gaming Classic last year. All these vendors selling everything in protective cases and behind glass windows. I sat and watched people coming in with their kids and thought "these are the people who love this hobby, and the vendors are pricing these people right out of it." It's not sustainable, and I can't wait for this fucking bubble to burst.
    You're right it's not going to last forever. I don't think it'll change for a long time tho.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

8. I've been actively selling at these cons for a little over a decade now but for the last couple of years it's been the Midwest Classic only. When I started most of the sellers were like us (I always split tables with a friend) and their prices may not have always been great but they also weren't way over ebay most of the time either. And like SSJN said most of these sellers weren't stores just people wanting to sell some of their collection and would drop prices the closer to the end we got because they didn't want to take a bunch of junk back home. I've done that in the past and still do on some things but my prices almost always a little under ebay and I leave enough room for me to take a couple bucks off for hagglers. Now it seem like 80%+ of vendors are stores or businesses and half of those mostly just sell game related toys, plushies, and whatever with a few games thrown around as well. And those games are either at or well above ebay prices and there is absolutely no haggling.

And the whole "I'm not gonna price anything and have to look up every single game's price" vendors still exist but thankfully seem to be a fading away as the years go by. Only saw 2 vendors doing that this year and one is a guy who's been doing it for longer than I've been selling. I price every single god damn thing I put on the table and try to make sure the price sticker is always facing out. I didn't for the first couple years and my sales jumped quite a bit when I bought an actual price gun and make those labels very visible. And it cut way down on the "how much is this" questions when all they had to do was pick up the game and look at the cover. I'm almost always willing to deal and it blows my mind when people just pick up a $10 game and hand me cash without saying a word. Or better yet a handful of games for like $60 and not even ask for $5 off or whatever.

Just reserved my tables for next year's Midwest Classic and judging by the games I've still got sitting around I'll be there for the next couple of years. I keep hearing that the bubble is going to burst and these games are all gonna drop someday. I've been hearing that for the past 10 years a least and stuff just keeps going up. Never thought I'd get $500 for a CiB GBA game but that's about what I got for Pocky & Rocky last year.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

9. I know this guy who always sell out his stuff in the parking lot instead of paying for a table. He has the personality to just talk to random people and meet him at his car. 2-3k every time he said, and most of his stuff is just from garage sales.

I hate it when they do that at flea markets. Probably just got it from some other vendor for $5 that morning.

If their prices aren't at the very least cutting out the eBay and PayPal fees, fuck 'em. I could've bought this from my toilet instead of coming out at 7 am and standing in what feels like your toilet to pay fucking eBay prices.