Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fry's Electronics is dying.

1. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The Borders around here was replaced with a Books A Million after the chain died. Somehow Books A Million makes looking though a book store boring. The building is only minimally changed outside and in, but I just don't want to go in there any more.

Stranger Things season 3 had a Waldenbooks in the background and I felt a tinge of mourning.

Gamestop is not Electronics Boutique. It's EB but far more obnoxious to visit, even before the death of gaming retail.

Don't try to tell me everything is uniformly terrible. It's bullshit and I have no reason to believe you.
    I was pretty bummed when Incredible Universe shut down. We had 2 locations in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and I'd bought a majority of my Atari Jaguar games at discount from those stores. When Fry's came here, they established 2 of their stores in those old Incredible Universe sites and built 2 more stores in Irving and Plano. I highly doubt that another Electronics Super Store will come to replace it. And during my recent visits to Best Buy over the past year, they've appeared to be pretty empty of shoppers as well. Best Buy will probably be gone in the next 5 years.

2. Consumerism is as poisonous as heroin, but the introversion of online shopping is just as toxic. GTFO of the house losers!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The Borders around here was replaced with a Books A Million after the chain died. Somehow Books A Million makes looking though a book store boring. The building is only minimally changed outside and in, but I just don't want to go in there any more.

Stranger Things season 3 had a Waldenbooks in the background and I felt a tinge of mourning.

Gamestop is not Electronics Boutique. It's EB but far more obnoxious to visit, even before the death of gaming retail.

Don't try to tell me everything is uniformly terrible. It's bullshit and I have no reason to believe you.
    Strange how all the good stores were overtaken by shittier versions. Do you have any examples of the opposite, where a bad store was bought up by a brand you prefer?

I think Fry's bought the old CompUSA building around here, but I've never had a reason to drive out there with everything else around. These big stores don't really serve much a purpose for me anymore. I went to Best Buy last year when I was TV shopping and got hassled by the AT&T sales rep. I've never really found it enjoyable to go and shop without a list ahead of time, and do it maybe once a year while looking for Christmas gifts.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

Best buy sucks now. They used to have piles of media. Rows of DVD's and CDs. Now it is mostly random shit I don't care about.

The last brand I can remember getting better was LG and Samsung. They used to be cheap shit. LG was originally Lucky Gold which sounds like a buffet. But those are brands not stores.

I guess Walmart is better than Kmart. And Target better than Walmart. Though Kmart had import gamegear and Gameboy games for a short period.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Strange how all the good stores were overtaken by shittier versions. Do you have any examples of the opposite, where a bad store was bought up by a brand you prefer?

I think Fry's bought the old CompUSA building around here, but I've never had a reason to drive out there with everything else around. These big stores don't really serve much a purpose for me anymore. I went to Best Buy last year when I was TV shopping and got hassled by the AT&T sales rep. I've never really found it enjoyable to go and shop without a list ahead of time, and do it maybe once a year while looking for Christmas gifts.
    I've been bugged by those sales reps from the few times I've gone to Walmart. It's almost as bad as walking a mall with random old people asking if I'd like to take a survey.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

6. I think LG still goes by Lucky Goldstar in Korea, but everywhere else, they just use the initials. It makes sense. I never saw much Goldstar stuff growing up, just a few PC monitors.

There are quite a few chains circling the drain in Canada. The Source is going to go tits up any day now. They're basically what's left of Canada's bootleg RadioShack after Circuit City took over.

7. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I’m pretty sure somebody thought of sticking their dong in that.
    Oh I did, almost instantly. Then I watched the video and thought about it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    I think Josh is over. Nut swinging is out of style now.
    Yes please.

9. But they’re extra dangly now!
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

10. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I think LG still goes by Lucky Goldstar in Korea, but everywhere else, they just use the initials. It makes sense. I never saw much Goldstar stuff growing up, just a few PC monitors.

There are quite a few chains circling the drain in Canada. The Source is going to go tits up any day now. They're basically what's left of Canada's bootleg RadioShack after Circuit City took over.
    Radio Shack was a huge amount of sadness for me. I spent a lot of years there buying things from them before the internet existed. Back when I was a serious audio nut, they were the only place I could easily go to to find all sorts of equipment and cables.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL