Thread: Insane ROM hack adds support for SA-1 to Race Drivin' on SNES with amazing results

1. Insane ROM hack adds support for SA-1 to Race Drivin' on SNES with amazing results

I couldn't think of a thread to throw this in, not sure if it merits its own thread but damn is it cool.

So for the last few years, Vitor Vilela has been patching in SA-1 support for various SNES games. This co-processor was one of the most commonly used on the SNES, appearing in over two dozen SNES carts, including Super Mario RPG, Kirby's Super Star, and Paridious 3. Mostly these patches are aimed at alleviating slowdown, but they're actually pretty sophisticated, disassembling the game and porting the code to take advantage of the faster processor.

But this? This is another story. Here, he has taken the notoriously terrible port of Race Drivin, a game which struggled to maintain 5 fps, and shows it running at frame rates that blow away the arcade version. It's interesting to see the cheaper and more common SA-1 pulling off a feat that really, in some sense rivals the Super FX.

The patch is available in the video description.

2. Cool!

I have an SD2SNES that has SA-1 support.

3. I bought Race Drivin for $2, tried to do the loop-de-loop and the framerate was so atrocious, it was like 1-2 fps, no joke. This looks infinitely better, amazing work.

4. That is pretty damn impressive!

5. Looks like it makes it a playable game.