Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fry's Electronics is dying.

1. We never had the real RS in Canada. A company called Intertan, which was part of Tandy, licensed the name to franchises, but the stores were nothing like the U.S. ones. They had some of the same products, but they were mostly a crappy cell phone store.

2. RS basically turned into crappy cell phone stores the last 5-10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Radio Shack was a huge amount of sadness for me. I spent a lot of years there buying things from them before the internet existed. Back when I was a serious audio nut, they were the only place I could easily go to to find all sorts of equipment and cables.
    Radio Shack was shitty at the end, but I really miss being able to stop in there on the way home and pick up random capacitors and resistors or whatever on the way home from work when I needed them for a project. They're cheaper online, but I usually have to order something like a 50 pack when I only need a couple and then wait a week to get it in. If it turns out to be the wrong value? Well crap, wait another week.

4. Radio Shack was one of the few places where I could pick up pins for RS-232 connectors for old network devices and fuses for paging systems. My dad bought his TRS-80 and Tandy 1000 from there, because RS was the only place in our town of 3,500 that carried computers. I knew it was the end when they started selling Cell phones.

5. For all those who miss Radio Shack, here's a few pictures of a local electronics place just so you can soak in the atmosphere a bit. It feels like time stopped in the 80s in there, except for the tech that didn't exist back then.

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. What's it like in-store? Endless peg board and bins, fluorescent lighting shining on concrete floors holding a maze of product that's arranged in a logical fashion in somebody's head, but no way to tell whose? Because I could shop in there for days.

7. We have a store like that in Toronto that used to be Hon-Son Electronics, but now it's just part of Home Hardware. The entire basement is a labyrinth of bins and pegboard filled with surplus and electronic components. I buy my microswitches for arcade sticks there. You won't find anything like that in a small town in these parts, though.

8. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    For all those who miss Radio Shack, here's a few pictures of a local electronics place just so you can soak in the atmosphere a bit. It feels like time stopped in the 80s in there, except for the tech that didn't exist back then.

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Thanks for posting that. That shit kinda hits the old nerd like me in the feels. I could easily see myself in there for a good few hours just looking and buying stuff.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

9. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    What's it like in-store? Endless peg board and bins, fluorescent lighting shining on concrete floors holding a maze of product that's arranged in a logical fashion in somebody's head, but no way to tell whose? Because I could shop in there for days.
    Pretty much. You can even find old parallel printer cables in there, as well as network racks.