Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1012131415 LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

1. I used a free month trial of Disney+ to watch this and it pretty much lived up to the hype. Looking back a few posts I think I align myself with how Calliander judges the last batch of SW movies and I think The Mandalorian is a consistently fun show. There are a lot of great characters and visually, it's often stunning.

Sure there is some dumb shit (Din gets the blueprints from a kiosk in a mess hall whose only security feature is to see if the user has a face? Who cares that you work at the base, you just need a human face?) but for the most part, stories flow well. I got a kick out of seeing Amy Sedaris and Bill Burr. I think the only thing that constantly bothered me is that Grogu 1) sounds way too similar to Goku (DB sucks) and 2) he is both the fastest and slowest creature in the universe. He's Jason Voorhees. When they do show him walk, he can barely move. But when no one looking (and you need his ass to move for story purposes), he's Usain Bolt. Leave him in the cockpit of the ship and bam, he's standing next to Din at the bay door ready to roll out. In the last episode, how the hell did he get up onto the console to touch the monitor when Ultra Cameo showed up? Did he do some Yoda pinball acrobatic nonsense from the prequels?

2. My girlfriend made the excellent point that Din saying goodbye to Grogu would have been made 100x more emotional if that was the first time he ever removed his helmet in the entire series. If you think about it, the other two times (wounded with IG-88 and using the Imperial face scanner) weren't really necessary, although I can understand an actor wanting to get his mug on-screen at least one or twice per season. But if that was the first time...holy shit.

Just a minor nit-pick. The series still rocked.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. So Gina Carano finally got canned from the show for her social media tomfoolery. Not a surprise but still a bummer.

4. This era, or error, of everything being micro analyzed and nobody being allowed to have a dissenting opinion is becoming positively frightening to anyone who values free speech and independence. I might not agree with what you say but you certainly have a right to say it. Holy shit.

5. Yeah, honestly what she said to get canned has been twisted in the media for the most part. Granted, she had apparently received warnings previously and chose to ignore them, but ultimately as far as right-wing people go she wasn't super-obnoxious or anything. I honestly don't agree with her firing.

6. Meh. She signed a conduct code with her contract, got warned, continued, got canned. She can say what she wants, but free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences, especially when it's spelled out in the contract she willingly signed. Also, I wonder where all the right-wing cancel culture outrage is for Lou Dobbs.

7. I'm only really surprised it took this long. I wonder if they're going to recast her role, and who they'd go with if so?

8. She didn't really matter into the overall narrative of the show that much, she was just somebody Mando called up when he needed some muscle. If they're going to concentrate on Mandalore or whatever in season 3 she can easily be written out:
    Last edited by Dolemite; 12 Feb 2021 at 04:40 PM.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

9. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Meh. She signed a conduct code with her contract, got warned, continued, got canned.
    Yes, clearly she's not a bright person. Just reading her shit on masks and election fraud can tell you that much.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Meh. She signed a conduct code with her contract, got warned, continued, got canned. She can say what she wants, but free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences, especially when it's spelled out in the contract she willingly signed. Also, I wonder where all the right-wing cancel culture outrage is for Lou Dobbs.
    I don't know - the double standards are just appalling. Wasn't too long ago that NFL players were castigated for protesting and I don't recall any of them getting fired for not adhering to a code of conduct.

NFL Code of Conduct in 2017 “During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition... “.

As far as Dobbs goes, you can question certain things about the election but when it raises the bar to allegations to the level that he was insinuating, without evidence other than conjecture, then Fox had to do what it had to do. He and a couple of others are being sued for a monstrous amount because of their unsubstantiated claims.

How about Cuomo? Good thing he didn't step to the front of the line when he could've ran Biden off into next week. Serious misconduct there.