Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 24567810 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian

1. I agree that the first three episodes were better, but I wouldn't call the last two "bad." But definitely not as good, yeah.

Also, I love Baby Yoda as much as the next guy but I would have been fine with Mando rescuing him and then passing him off to someone else to raise and that's it. His cuteness is kinda robbing the show and Mondo of their edge. But I'm sure he's leading up to something plot-wise so whatever. Hopefully the payoff is worth it.

Also, I knew when they showed those mystery legs at the end of the episode that everyone would be rabidly claiming that they were attached to Boba Fett. I doubt it, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    The magical extra-stellar tracking devices need to be explained as well.
    Do they? Will you enjoy the show more if they squeeze in 30 seconds of random technobabble?
    Last edited by Dolemite; 09 Dec 2019 at 03:32 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Incidentally, the new episode releases this Friday as usual, but the week after it releases early on Wednesday so it doesn't coincide with the release of The Rise of Skywalker. So maybe something might happen that ties into the movie...if I even bother to see it. I still haven't seen Last Jedi after being so underwhelmed by TFA.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    I still haven't seen Last Jedi after being so underwhelmed by TFA.
    TLJ seems to be a hit or miss and a person's immersion in the universe doesn't seem to be an indicator. I somehow avoided Star Wars until the SE theatrical re-releases, and am not a mega fan like my wife, but I put TLJ just below Empire. My wife really liked it. My friends are 50/50 on it, and all are huge fans, too.

Star Wars Fans™ hate it. If you ask Star Wars Fans™ you'll get a skewed opinion because of "forced diversity" or whatever, which somehow makes [x] a plot hole. They're just leftover GamerGaters so you can ignore them, of course, but jfc they will not shut up if you get them going.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    TLJ seems to be a hit or miss and a person's immersion in the universe doesn't seem to be an indicator. I somehow avoided Star Wars until the SE theatrical re-releases, and am not a mega fan like my wife, but I put TLJ just below Empire. My wife really liked it. My friends are 50/50 on it, and all are huge fans, too.
    Always been more of a casual fan of the series than anything else and have never gotten too worked up about the direction it's taken over the years. It's fine for what it is. I've always really enjoyed the robot/armor/tech design of the original trilogy. Some of that stuff, like Boba Fett and Darth Vader's designs, were awesomely cool. I've always gravitated more towards Star Trek emotionally, but again I was never rabid about it.

Speaking of the Star Wars/Trek comparison, one area Trek could never win was the merchandise. Star Wars toys, comic books, videogames, t-shirts...they all just was 100x better than anything Trek ever out out, probably due to the fact that Star Trek was at least somewhat rooted in reality and less fanciful overall than Star Wars.

Star Wars Fans™ hate it. If you ask Star Wars Fans™ you'll get a skewed opinion because of "forced diversity" or whatever, which somehow makes [x] a plot hole. They're just leftover GamerGaters so you can ignore them, of course, but jfc they will not shut up if you get them going.
    Yeah, the "forced diversity" nonsense has nothing to do with my ambivalence regarding the new Star Wars stuff (aside from Rogue One and The Mandalorian, both of which I really enjoy). It's just that TFA being such a re-tread of ANH, coupled with the complete waste made of the original cast (really? No scene with Luke and Han?) and the new characters being total bores for the most part really just turned me off on the series.

Also, I can't say for sure since I never saw Last Jedi, but it just comes across that Disney had no clear plan for the new series. From what I've heard the fanboys bitch, it seems that everything that JJ set up in TFA was basically abandoned in Last Jedi, as if they just told Rian Johnson to ignore the previous movie and do whatever the fuck he wanted? And now it seems that JJ is going back to his story again with the new movie? I don't know, and I don't really care. But if true, a lack of continuity like that can really be annoying.

I think I'm looking more forward to the upcoming Obi-Wan series with Ewan McGregor than anything else. He was the only bright spot of the Prequels, honestly.

Speaking of the Prequels, it's hilarious that all the same fanboys that shit on them endlessly for years are now rabidly defending them in light of the "OMG SJW STAR WARS" or whatever. I still think the Prequels suck.

5. The prequels are a ton better if you rewatch them after seeing the Clone Wars series. That whole show was a big "OMG, sorry!" by Lucas, it seems. I enjoyed the prequels a lot more when I saw them afterwards.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Do they? Will you enjoy the show more if they squeeze in 30 seconds of random technobabble?
    I think so. Honestly it’s way too convenient to have a beeper that can just bring bounty hunters magically to a target. But more obviously it makes The Mandalorian look borderline retarded for bringing the kid so far out to a backwater planet to abandon when it could so easily be found.

Though based on the bad tactics on display in ep 4 and 5 and 1 I suppose it’s basically set he’s pretty bad at planning.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 09 Dec 2019 at 10:13 PM.

7. There's a reason why he always has to wear his helmet. If you ever see him eat, I bet it will be with a spork.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    The prequels are a ton better if you rewatch them after seeing the Clone Wars series. That whole show was a big "OMG, sorry!" by Lucas, it seems. I enjoyed the prequels a lot more when I saw them afterwards.
    Actually, now that I have Disney+, I was planning on giving Clone Wars a go. I haven't really watched it aside from some clips on YouTube.

BTW, is Rebels any good?

And I will say that, despite disliking the Prequels, I can at lest appreciate that Lucas tried something different with them as opposed to straight-up rehashing shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I think so. Honestly it’s way too convenient to have a beeper that can just bring bounty hunters magically to a target.
    I will admit that the fact that it's just a tiny box with an antenna and a blinking red light isn't too impressive. If it had some sort of quick hologram tracking doohickey then would more effectively serve for a "show don't tell" aspect of what the tracker does instead of a Geordi La Forge-type explanation, however.

I'm going to assume the kid has some sort of tracker on him somewhere. How else would people keep finding him?

9. Rebels is great.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    I'm going to assume the kid has some sort of tracker on him somewhere. How else would people keep finding him?
    I hate that I can't remember for sure since it wasn't too long ago, but don't all the targets have fairly advanced DNA-tracking things? But the nature of Baby Yoda's bounty was why it was the blinky fob thing?