Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Up With All The Boomer Talk?

1. What Is Up With All The Boomer Talk?

Thanks to a few people, my entire Twitter feed is nothing but young people bitching that Boomers had it so much better than they do, and I just don't see it.
    In talking to one of them, it boils down to "rich, white, men had it better than me" but that's no different today.

These people walk around with $1000 computers in their pockets. Just about all media is free or damn close to it. LGBTQ has never had it so good. Despite there being a looonngggg way to go still, minorities have never had it so good. Are you a creative type? Getting your shit seen/heard has never been so easy. Actually creating your shit has never been so easy.
    Do these people watch Leave it to Beaver and think that's how it was for everyone?
    There's no doubt the wealth gap has widened, but according to my research there are more wealthy minorities than ever before, and far more younger people getting richer, quicker. Fucking Kylie Jenner is almost a billionaire.

I really don't get the whining.

2. I think it's partly an urban thing. The big gripe here is astronomical housing costs. Kids come out of school with six figure debt, but they can't find the six-figure job that will allow them to live in the city where the jobs are. Meanwhile, boomers who got into the housing market decades ago are getting rich when they retire and sell their home. It's easy to forget that those million dollar homes were originally in remote suburbs that the city has now enveloped.

There's also a lot of resentment because of the precarious employment situation. I can't blame a kid who works three minimum wage part time jobs for resenting the overpaid union slug that gets paid doctor money just for showing up, especially when that sweetheart deal isn't even an option for new employees.
    Last edited by kedawa; 05 Nov 2019 at 01:33 PM.

Shatsuki has been blaming boomers long enough that I’m well and over it.

Next up: it’s Generation X’s fault.

4. I’m always ahead of the curve!

There’s always been boomer hate on the internet, but within the past few weeks there’s a TikTok sound clip that goes “OK BOOMER” that’s gained a lot of traction, and sort of fueled the discourse.

https://youtu.be/NarX9usjj0Q

Somehow, dumbass mainstream media outlets picked up on it and took it deathly seriously, and the Twitterverse and other people got Real Mad.

Long story short, it’s a fucking meme that’s been around for 5 years and one NYtimes article made it a thing. I wouldn’t read into too hard, the people taking it utterly seriously are squares.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. Housing and education costs are definitely two investments that have fallen out of line and become ridiculously expensive compared to the good old days. It wasn't cheap back when I was going to college but it is now almost 5x what I paid, and housing price is at least 2 to 3x. Wages have been stagnant for a long time unless you are in a few specialized area (high tech). If people are only focusing on these aspects, it is easy to ignore the benefits that we enjoy now. I mean, a 70" tv for several hundred bucks? That's like science fiction.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I really don't get the whining.
    I'm loving it mainly because it's upsetting conservatives. Some dude compared it to the N-word lol. But baby boomers have been offering a lot of bad opinions lately and the general response is, "ok boomer," which I take as an expression of how fed up people are with their bs about, "When I was a kid I worked over the summer and paid for college!" and "You kids and your participation trophies!" et al. Like, there's no point in actually arguing with them because of how stupid their opinions are so: OK BOOMER.

(Note: A few years ago the "silence boomer" meme was pretty popular. Not sure if this is an extension of that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Next up: it’s Generation X’s fault.
    Yeah! Those fucks were supposed to rock the vote for a better future. What happened?

7. Part of it is also the "Boomers" attitude of I paid my own way for school came out and bought a house and had no problems! With them refusing to acknowledge that minimum wage (and hell most people's income) has not kept up with the rising costs of housing, or education. When looking at its actual buying power the minimum wage hit its peak in something like 1968ish, and has mostly been on a downward trend since then. So your ability to pay for things on a minimum wage job has gone down, but the average college cost has gone up something like %3,000. There's also rent increasing at a higher rate than the average income, and a lot of other economic factors. So yes while on a social level things are improving, on an economic one things are kind of shit.

While its never great for everyone there is no denying that coming out of WWII America hit an economic boom, that allowed for a lot of growth and prosperity. The same can't be said right now, and hell those of the missing generation, (the generation too young to be gen xers, and too old to be millenials) and Millenials will probably be one of the first generations on average to have/make less than their parents generation in a long ass time. Which is a bad trend.

You see articles all the time with stupid ass titles like "Millenials are killing the craft beer industry!" or articles bitching about millenials not buying houses or having as many or even any kids. It's not by choice its cause none of them can afford to do that shit.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I'm loving it mainly because it's upsetting conservatives. Some dude compared it to the N-word lol. But baby boomers have been offering a lot of bad opinions lately and the general response is, "ok boomer," which I take as an expression of how fed up people are with their bs about, "When I was a kid I worked over the summer and paid for college!" and "You kids and your participation trophies!" et al. Like, there's no point in actually arguing with them because of how stupid their opinions are so: OK BOOMER.

(Note: A few years ago the "silence boomer" meme was pretty popular. Not sure if this is an extension of that.)?
    100% an extension of that. This article prompted the current discourse:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...oomer.amp.html

But that’s because boomers only read the NYT despite the fact that boomer jokes have been around since forever. It’s actually a really funny microcosm - since the vitriol wasn’t located on boomer-centric media, no one cared. As soon as it hit the NYT, it was like a boomer dog whistle went off and EVERYONE HAD TO HAVE AN OPINION.
    The n-word comparison is laughable.

The funny thing is, Saint Steve Bannon based a lot of his own political theories off The Fourth Turning, which basically is peak “generation against generation” stuff. The boomers have eagerly lapped up the theories, the benefits, and the the accolades that privilege their cohort, and when some dumb meme gets traction it’s like OOHHHHHH MYYYYY GODDDDDDDD SOUND THE ALARMS! it’s very exhausting. Let the kids have some dumb fun ffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

9. I'm all about putting the feet of the sevens Jews that run the world to the fire.
    The hoarding of wealth is bullshit.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Millenials are killing the craft beer industry!
    Not to nit pick but the craft beer industry is literally the one thing millennials have done.