Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Up With All The Boomer Talk?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    I'm sure it's my social media exposure, but I've seen your point brought up many times, but haven't really seen anyone calling it out as transphobic.
    Rachel McKinnon is infamous for basically calling out anyone who raises any question about the fairness of her competing against biological women as being transphobic, denying her right to exist, etc.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 06 Nov 2019 at 08:19 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    One thing that's really bugging me lately is this new trend of letting trans women compete in sporting events with - and subsequently destroying - biological women, often easily breaking their world records in the process. Rachel McKinnon is a prime example of this. But of course, if you say anything about it, you're just a transphobic piece of shit.

I am sympathetic to the plight of trans people wanting to have the right to compete in sports and all, but there's got to be a better solution. I just have no idea what it is.
    For most instances who really gives a shit. Let people identify as they will. Pee where they want.

But it’s patently absurd in regards to medicine and sports where outcomes can generally be measured. No one outside of a social sciences course would bring up a woman w an extreme testosterone imbalance as a valid point against women the median range competing fairly with one another in a sport. Men generally outperform women in athletic competition by most quantitative (objective) measures. That’s why we have that division in the first place. A trans-woman crossing that division diminishes (or outright ruins) the competition. If the sport can be more normalized between genders then that would be good. More competition. But other than maybe golf and racing it’s not that common.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 06 Nov 2019 at 09:43 PM.

3. ..........you guys do know that a transwoman on hormone therapy will have a decrease in muscle mass and energy, more weight gain, and a whole other bunch of side effects? And McKinnon has to take tests to prove that her testosterone levels are within the women’s range in order to compete? And that not every transwoman athlete wipes the floor with biologically female competition?

Media puts the focus on winners, because it’s a great way to cause outrage. Raughhhh men competing in women’s sports raugghhhh. It’s manufactured nonsense. Flip side: most of the stories concentrate on “men” invading women’s spaces. But transmen who compete often do quite well in their respective fields - on par with biological men - despite expectations that they won’t.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

4. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    quantitative (objective) measures

LOOOOOOOOL
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    One thing that's really bugging me lately is this new trend of letting trans women compete in sporting events with - and subsequently destroying - biological women, often easily breaking their world records in the process. Rachel McKinnon is a prime example of this. But of course, if you say anything about it, you're just a transphobic piece of shit.

I am sympathetic to the plight of trans people wanting to have the right to compete in sports and all, but there's got to be a better solution. I just have no idea what it is.
    I love it. Men are superior to women, even in being women.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I’m not actually sure if the issue is solvable, because we will need to determine if we adhere to one hegemonic gender category, or two, three, unlimited, etc. If we determine that there is two genders that can compete and THATS IT, this potentially alienates a huge swath of very gifted athletes. And hey, that may be what society agrees on. But it would kind of suck for those who aren’t easily categorized.
    Put them in the Special Olympics.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post

The best I've ever heard someone else say it:

The bodies of men should not compete with the bodies of women no matter how the brain in that body identifies itself.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    There’s also been problems with people not fitting into certain categories because of hormonal conditions, such as the case of Francine Niyonsaba, who has elevated levels of testosterone naturally and is being hounded to take hormone suppressants. It really isn’t as simple as “now this person has an unfair advantage because they decided to switch genders.” There will always be that person who takes advantage of their status in order to be fraudulent or somehow gain an unfair advantage. We can’t operate assuming that every trans person in sports is doing such.

I’m not actually sure if the issue is solvable, because we will need to determine if we adhere to one hegemonic gender category, or two, three, unlimited, etc. If we determine that there is two genders that can compete and THATS IT, this potentially alienates a huge swath of very gifted athletes. And hey, that may be what society agrees on. But it would kind of suck for those who aren’t easily categorized.
    It's so much more than just testosterone though.

Women have lower 02 carrying capacity.

Women are 52% and 66% as strong as men in their upper and lower body respectively and men are stronger relative to lean body mass.

Men and women have different peak bone densities

Women have thinner cartalidge and smaller joints even after adjusting for height and weight.

Women have significantly higher pelvic obliquity than man, which changes the way you run and move.

There have been over 3000 genes discovered that are differentially expressed in male and female skeletal muscle

Women have smaller diameter airways, lung volumes, maximum expiratory flow and diffusion surface than men

This shit goes on forever.

Everyone should have the same rights. But the world record for every strength and speed event in the world is held by a man for no more important reason than they have some physical advantages that have to do with how the male and female human body differ.
    Last edited by Opaque; 07 Nov 2019 at 12:16 AM.

It’s almost like there are biological differences or something.

10. Quote Originally Posted by satsuki
    ..........you guys do know that a transwoman on hormone therapy will have a decrease in muscle mass and energy, more weight gain, and a whole other bunch of side effects? And McKinnon has to take tests to prove that her testosterone levels are within the women’s range in order to compete? And that not every transwoman athlete wipes the floor with biologically female competition?
    Sorry sats, but the science is there. McKinnon went through puberty and didn't even begin to transition to female until she was 29 years old. No amount of hormone therapy is going to undo the effects of having all of that testosterone in her body for so long, nor will it change her bone structure and density, heart and lung capacity, or cause a drastic decrease to her muscle mass/density or the amount of fast-twitch fibers she has.

Also, men have greater bone density on average than women, and taking estrogen actually helps to preserve bone density.

I don't mean any offense, but if you're saying a trans athlete on average doesn't have any advantage over their biological female competitors, you're just kidding yourself.