Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is Up With All The Boomer Talk?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Everyone should have the same rights. But the world record for every strength and speed event in the world is held by a man for no more important reason than they have some physical advantages that have to do with how the male and female human body differ.
    Please save your mansplaining for the Nazi rally, fascist.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Put them in the Special Olympics.
    Oh shit.

3. Not all boomers.

I don't like that we're making inevitabilities of capitalism generation problems. We didn't get massive deregulation and the erosion of social infrastructure because people born before this or that year are bad; we got it because this is the horizon toward which capital is always striving. Reagan and Carter didn't oversee the biggest transference of wealth to the top in our history. Obama did. As long as we keep locating problems in the individual or the generation or the idea, we're never going to be able to even visualize pulling the plug on this fucking thing, much less doing it.

That we're blaming generations and not capitalism is a symptom. These are the kinds of defense mechanisms capitalism uses to stabilize itself when it starts to show its cracks like it's doing now. This is how it deflects energy that would otherwise threaten it. This is what ideology is.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 07 Nov 2019 at 09:22 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    ..........you guys do know that a transwoman on hormone therapy will have a decrease in muscle mass and energy, more weight gain, and a whole other bunch of side effects? And McKinnon has to take tests to prove that her testosterone levels are within the women’s range in order to compete? And that not every transwoman athlete wipes the floor with biologically female competition?

Media puts the focus on winners, because it’s a great way to cause outrage. Raughhhh men competing in women’s sports raugghhhh. It’s manufactured nonsense. Flip side: most of the stories concentrate on “men” invading women’s spaces. But transmen who compete often do quite well in their respective fields - on par with biological men - despite expectations that they won’t.
    Yet here we are. A transwoman wiping out the field. Ie an objective measure. Like golf and racing listed before there are definitely non-gender handicapped sports out there. Are the ones you’re referencing one of those? I think there are some biathlon records of women pretty competitive w best in the world too.

I’m not sure how many times a transwoman has to sit atop the podium in women’s sports before you feel comfortable admitting what's obvious to most rather than reverse rationalizing w anecdotes. Ultimately it’s up to the women in those sports to accept or reject these concepts. But because no one wants to be clipped w transphobic label (esp in a public domain like sports) I doubt they’d feel free to state their minds on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Not all boomers.

I don't like that we're making inevitabilities of capitalism generation problems. We didn't get massive deregulation and the erosion of social infrastructure because people born before this or that year are bad; we got it because this is the horizon toward which capital is always striving. Reagan and Carter didn't oversee the biggest transference of wealth to the top in our history. Obama did. As long as we keep locating problems in the individual or the generation or the idea, we're never going to be able to even visualize pulling the plug on this fucking thing, much less doing it.

That we're blaming generations and not capitalism is a symptom. These are the kinds of defense mechanisms capitalism uses to stabilize itself when it starts to show its cracks like it's doing now. This is how it deflects energy that would otherwise threaten it. This is what ideology is.
    Yea except no one likes this except for academic assholes spending far too much of their time and ego occupying their mind palaces (ie butts).

The most annoying defence mechanism of all: people like sports What’re you gonna do about it?
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 07 Nov 2019 at 09:43 AM.

5. I'm too short to play professional basketball, it's so unfair.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

6. So weird how suddenly a bunch of people are incredibly invested in high school women's track and field records. The overlap with the crew who were the most reluctant to let go of the f-word is probably coincidental.

You don't suppose "but what about sports records?" is really about something else, do you?
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 07 Nov 2019 at 11:30 AM.

7. (I'm talking about dolemite and kedawa)

I’m positive it is for a lot of people, and I choose to believe that we aren’t having that particular argument here.

9. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Not all boomers.

Can you shorten this to under 280 characters please?

10. in lieu of that, what should I be reading/watching/listening to that'd provide me the information to make the same conclusions?