Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half-Life: Alyx confirmed to be shown Thursday, "our flagship VR game"

1. Half-Life: Alyx confirmed to be shown Thursday, "our flagship VR game"

https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/st...66870360387584

We’re excited to unveil Half-Life: Alyx, our flagship VR game, this Thursday at 10am Pacific Time.

Can’t wait to share it with all of you!
    god i'm fuckin' pumped

VR FPSes have some established common mechanics by now that work really well, but there's still all this room to experiment and all this potential. Doesn't hurt that Valve hasn't made a bad singleplayer game, even if their last one was a while ago.

This being a Half-Life game doesn't get me particularly excited for closure after the Episode 2 cliffhanger or anything, I just like the setting and it tells me that this is probably going to be substantial.

2. I'll be interested to see what Valve can do with Half-Life in 2019, but I'm saving any level of excitement for after the reveal tomorrow. It's been a long time since Valve did a dedicated single-player game, and I'm very interested to see what they can do with high-profile VR on their flagship series.

3. I'm hoping this is a real AAA game and not a 3-4 hour sidequest. VR has been waiting a long time for a real entry in a AAA series to make the leap.

People are pretty content to ignore major VR games, even those of AAA scope and quality, when they're new IP. Those games matter to VR owners, but don't sell headsets and barely even get covered by the media. A real Half Life game is obvious a big fucking deal in any context, but would certainly be the biggest thing to happen to VR yet.

4. Valve's narrative style is perfect for VR, since they don't break immersion for cutscenes very often. Their explanation for shelving the series is apparently that the market wasn't there for a game without motion captured cutscenes, which is absurd. Being able to fuck around in the environment while NPCs are talking is half the fun of HL2. I hope this keeps that element of the it.

5. People still care about Half-Life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Duh.

7. guess what it looks perfect

8. It looks absolutely incredible. This is the tentpole VR has been waiting for, without a doubt. It's unignorable. Even those without VR will be reading reviews and watching playthroughs. The handful of great AAA games on VR so far have all been new IP and thus easy to ignore.

If you read between the lines, it sounds like the "three major VR titles" thing is no longer the case, that Portal and their multiplayer focused stuff was ruled out, and this has been the focus for much of the company. It's the reason Erik Wolpaw returned to Valve, too. So I don't know when we'll see another VR title like this, but it's going to be a big one.

9. Does this look cool? Yes. Is this the game I get a VR set up to play? Eventually yes.

Is it hilarious that after this much time the new Half-Life game is STILL not Half-Life 3? Yes.

10. Looks really good but I don’t dig VR that much. I’ll give it a try though.