Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maybe it's time for Sega-16 to move to its own server, its making TNL run like absolute shit.

1. It's not one time. Just because this was one time it was posted about here doesn't mean this was the only time. In the last few months every time we bring this up on TNL2 to CKA, it's something going on Sega 16 that's eating up all the resources, its never something happening on TNL. It got posted this time because I got fed up with it.

What would I have you do? "Maybe it's time for Sega-16 to move to its own server."
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

2. If anyone should be bitched at it's the hosting server. They're the ones causing this issue.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

3. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    It's not one time. Just because this was one time it was posted about here doesn't mean this was the only time. In the last few months every time we bring this up on TNL2 to CKA, it's something going on Sega 16 that's eating up all the resources, its never something happening on TNL. It got posted this time because I got fed up with it.
    Complaining someplace else before making a thread to bitch about it months later is really productive and helps me know what's going on. Thanks for that.

What would I have you do? "Maybe it's time for Sega-16 to move to its own server."
    I've done every single thing Nick and cka have asked for the site. I moved it to WordPress, where I had to lay out 1,600 articles by hand because the old database wasn't compatible and couldn't be migrated. I keep the main site updated, and the forum actually uses a more recent version of vbulletin than TNL does, so don't come at me with this bullshit that it's something on my end. Shit that happens on the server is not my fault when I've done all that's possible to comply. I don't run or work with the server and have no access beyond my WP and vbulletin admin pages.
    Last edited by Melf; 16 Jan 2020 at 11:33 PM.

4. Funny enough everything's been running smooth for awhile now.

5. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    If anyone should be bitched at it's the hosting server. They're the ones causing this issue.
    This. If they are providing set-up servers (shared hosting/templates/whatever) they should also provide monitoring of basic resources. Even with shared hosting, there should be mitigation for botnet stuff (doesn't mean there is). And if, like cka was saying, log files were filling up the drive, they should be adjusting the garbage collection.

Out of curiosity, Melf, what are the traffic & costs for Sega-16? (Totally don't have to answer.) I'm curious about this site, too.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Complaining someplace else before making a thread to bitch about it months later is really productive and helps me know what's going on. Thanks for that.
    Is it my job to make sure you know how your site is affecting the site whose server you use? I didn't know it was. We bitched to CKA somewhere else because, TNL FUCKING RAN LIKE SHIT. When I spend an hour trying to get a page to load, let alone multiple hours trying to get a fucking reply to post, its easier to just go to CKA somewhere else and ask him to fix it.

I've done every single thing Nick and cka have asked for the site. I moved it to WordPress, where I had to lay out 1,600 articles by hand because the old database wasn't compatible and couldn't be migrated. I keep the main site updated, and the forum actually uses a more recent version of vbulletin than TNL does, so don't come at me with this bullshit that it's something on my end. Shit that happens on the server is not my fault when I've done all that's possible to comply. I don't run or work with the server and have no access beyond my WP and vbulletin admin pages.
    How would you feel if Sega 16 constantly ran like shit and it was all because of shit happening on TNL? Cause the opposite is what is happening. Every time we've gone to CKA about an issue its, ohh chinese bots are running rampant on Sega 16, Sega 16 is filling up the logs, Sega 16's amazon affiliate link is causing problems, Sega 16 has this happening, Sega 16 that. It's never ohhh TNL was doing this that or the other thing, its always something going on with your site. That's why I suggested moving your site off TNL's server.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Funny enough everything's been running smooth for awhile now.
    It hasn't been awhile, hell since this thread got posted there were issues again. It hasn't even been a month yet, and before that TNL was dog slow or just not responding for like a year. This forum is on life support and having it unresponsive, and barely loading doesn't help any. Multiple people commented in this thread about not posting because of the issues.
    Where I play
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    How would you feel if Sega 16 constantly ran like shit and it was all because of shit happening on TNL? Cause the opposite is what is happening.
    I'm just going to let you know bro in case you're not aware but whatever was causing this was also affecting Sega-16 at the same exact times. It's not Melf's fault on this but the hosting server. You're putting the blame in the wrong direction.

8. Yeah, blame the chinese.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Is it my job to make sure you know how your site is affecting the site whose server you use? I didn't know it was. We bitched to CKA somewhere else because, TNL FUCKING RAN LIKE SHIT. When I spend an hour trying to get a page to load, let alone multiple hours trying to get a fucking reply to post, its easier to just go to CKA somewhere else and ask him to fix it.
    You do realize that it's not my server and I don't control its functionality, right?

How would you feel if Sega 16 constantly ran like shit and it was all because of shit happening on TNL? Cause the opposite is what is happening. Every time we've gone to CKA about an issue its, ohh chinese bots are running rampant on Sega 16, Sega 16 is filling up the logs, Sega 16's amazon affiliate link is causing problems, Sega 16 has this happening, Sega 16 that. It's never ohhh TNL was doing this that or the other thing, its always something going on with your site. That's why I suggested moving your site off TNL's server.
    First of all, the same issues affecting TNL affected S-16. Second, I didn't hear what the issue was until you posted your thread to bitch. I think things could have moved faster if perhaps someone let me know what was causing the issue instead of bitching about it someplace else.

It hasn't been awhile, hell since this thread got posted there were issues again. It hasn't even been a month yet, and before that TNL was dog slow or just not responding for like a year. This forum is on life support and having it unresponsive, and barely loading doesn't help any. Multiple people commented in this thread about not posting because of the issues.
    You're always welcome to give Nick some cash to keep the place running, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I'm just going to let you know bro in case you're not aware but whatever was causing this was also affecting Sega-16 at the same exact times. It's not Melf's fault on this but the hosting server. You're putting the blame in the wrong direction.
    Exactly.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    You do realize that it's not my server and I don't control its functionality, right?
    What does that have to do with what I said?

First of all, the same issues affecting TNL affected S-16. Second, I didn't hear what the issue was until you posted your thread to bitch. I think things could have moved faster if perhaps someone let me know what was causing the issue instead of bitching about it someplace else.
    If Cka isn't telling you about the issues, I don't know but we tell him when we run into problems. When you can't post on a board its hard to tell everyone the issue.

You're always welcome to give Nick some cash to keep the place running, you know.
    I know, and I've been trying to find out how much it costs to host TNL, and if it was something I could just take over paying myself. I care if the board lives or dies, and no offense to Nick, but the person in charge of things should be more active on the board IMHO. I just saw what happened over at PCFX Forums where the own of the site and board just didn't give two shits what happened to it (not saying Nick doesn't care) and how it died a horrible death. I'd really like to not see something like that happen to TNL.
    Where I play