Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Maybe it's time for Sega-16 to move to its own server, its making TNL run like absolute shit.

1. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    What does that have to do with what I said?
    You came off like it was something I was doing or not doing right, when I have no control over how the server works. It may not have been your intention, but that's how it sounded.

If Cka isn't telling you about the issues, I don't know but we tell him when we run into problems. When you can't post on a board its hard to tell everyone the issue.
    You could have also said something on TNL Facebook so I'd know. I would have contacted him directly and quickly had I known.

2. We've gone from three busy sites and a few smaller sites on a dedicated server, breaking even financially, to pretty much just two sites on shared hosting, losing a decent amount of money every month.

I love TNL, so it's staying. That said, the front page hasn't loaded for, what, years? And 90%-plus of the traffic is Sega-16. I'm going to look into a way to not lose so much cash, but I'm staying with professional hosting. I'm not really interested in moving to a handshake deal or going to some rinky-dink $1.98 plan.

3. Yay Nick!

4. Holy shit hi Nick!
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

5. That's not all John said about Melf. From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv
    Stupid Melf and his crazy Game Gear site is dragging down TNL and I'm sick of it. I sat up for 6 hours last night trying to post one response to a thread and I had work in the morning and I overslept and was almost fired. Meanwhile some Korean kid looking up cheat codes for Toejam and Earl is stealing all our fucking bandwidth. Fuck Sega-16.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    We've gone from three busy sites and a few smaller sites on a dedicated server, breaking even financially, to pretty much just two sites on shared hosting, losing a decent amount of money every month.

I love TNL, so it's staying. That said, the front page hasn't loaded for, what, years? And 90%-plus of the traffic is Sega-16. I'm going to look into a way to not lose so much cash, but I'm staying with professional hosting. I'm not really interested in moving to a handshake deal or going to some rinky-dink $1.98 plan.
    Whoa hey there Nick!

Have we looked into an AWS EC2 box?

Also, I know a switch to another forum software would be nuts at this point but if vB has a RESTful API, surely we could convert to that + React/Vue/Angular and offload some of the heavy lifting to the browser? (I'm making a guess, since vBulletin is paid software, that this is a thing they provide.)

7. Dang, Dole must be lurking in TNL2 to have seen that hot take.

8. Lol.

No offense, John, but that is incredibly simplistic and not representative of what is actually happening.

Also, dude, Dole. You know what snitches get.

9. Stickers?

Snitches get the Sam Adams Award, mostly.