Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2020: Back For More Video

1. She disagrees.

2. 9) Final Fantasy VII Remake

Straight up better than I ever thought a Midgar only game could ever be. I won't go into spoilers here, that's for the main thread, but this is possibly the start to something that as a whole will be incredibly special and make me feel like I did the first time I played the PS1 era games. This captured some fucking magic that has been entirely missing since FFXII.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The Switch isn't a current generation console? What is it?
    Something in between. More power than a 360 or PS3, less than PS4 and X1.

4. Console generations have never been about power, its about when something released. Switch is in the same generation as PS4, and X1.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. So is the Wii U, somehow, right?
    Eh, whatever. It's a crude paradigm whether we're talking about game consoles or humans.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Crysis (2007).

Been sitting in my GOG pile for ages, finally decided to play it, and was able to do so (mostly) maxed out. Beautiful game, even by today's standards for the most part. This must have been jizz-inducing back in the day for sure...for the people who could actually play it, that is.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the lush environments and the fairly open-ended gameplay and even the use of vehicles. Using the abilities of the suit and dealing with it's limited regenerating energy supply added a good degree of strategy in how to get the most out of it in any given situation. Switch from Cloak to Maximum Speed, dash to the enemy + throat grab + switch to Maximum Strength + super-throw off a cliff is fun. And I liked that other than your suit, most of the setting is fairly modern-day with limited high-tech stuff, and fighting North Vietnamese soldiers was especially poignant considering our country's current relationship with them.

But then the alien stuff kicks in and the game lost me a little. I just didn't find fighting the sentinels from The Matrix as compelling, but it was still fun...until I hit the last boss on the carrier and framerate dropped to -60 or whatever the fuck. I've heard this happening to even beefy modern rigs, so my laptop apparently had little chance. I've heard there are fixes involving which version of direct x you're using, but I know I'm at the end so I might just watch it on YouTube and move on.

Overall a good game that I should have totally loved but ultimately found a bit underwhelming. I mean, I dig the sci-fi elements mixed with real-world military action, plus the suit is rad and the gameplay very solid, but the alien stuff just didn't work, at least for me. I've heard the series kinda goes downhill from here, so I'm not sure if I should even bother with Crysis 2 or not.
    Aw man, Crysis. I loved that game. I built a new PC in 2007 and played it (at whatever the settings were, I'm sure they weren't max, but it was still fantastic).

Totally agree though, the game is pretty incredible before the aliens come. And I appreciate their commitment to diversify the gameplay, even if some of it falls flat. But I kept hoping for at least one more fucking amazing open-ended stage that mixed the huge, intricate maps of the early game with the flying aliens and whatnot, and... it never materialized.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I think what makes HL:A so important is that it's the first game in a major series to deliver a full blown franchise entry as a VR exclusive, and that it successfully managed to show how VR can enhance the core pillars of that franchise.

Some of this is really good luck; there a lot of game series that would NOT be better in VR, and VR tends to feel like a totally different thing. But in Half-Life, the pillars are things like environmental storytelling, physical manipulation/physics puzzles, gunplay, and atmosphere, and all of those things feel like VR is making them better. And the fact that Half Life is a critical and fan darling series that hasn't had a new entry in a long time. It's for sure the most important VR game to date.
    oh yeah! a game I beat!

they nailed it. it really sets a new standard in so many ways. as much as I'd love to say this is going to herald in a new age of VR, though, frankly, I don't expect anything else to come even close to this for some time... much like half-life 1 and 2, honestly.

8. 8. Resident Evil 3 (2020)

It's not the monumentally good game that Resident Evil 2 (2019) is, but it shares a lot of the same strengths. It's certainly not as creepy, and funny enough Nemesis isn't as scary of a predator as Mr. X, but the dodge mechanic is fun to use and fits perfectly with this game's stronger action focus. Good difficulty curve on Hardcore despite the lack of ink ribbons and the safe room being a bit less meaningful.

9. DonPachi

Finally 1cc'd this. It's a little more uneven in terms of its difficulty curve and pacing than DoDonPachi, but it's still pretty generous with bombs. There are some fun tricks to learn with the bosses (like how to deal with the stage 3 boss missiles) and some unique tight moments in stages that will definitely get burned into your memory (those high-HP triangular guys halfway through stage 2, or the complete bait after the warship in stage 4, for example). Everything here just looks so sick: the late Toaplan badass mechanical pixel art is in full effect on the bosses, the explosions are fluid, and the stage backgrounds have all sorts of neat little details. Bonus points for the goofy and enthusiastic announcer, which is probably the only highlight of the game's audio.

I couldn't tell you the first thing about scoring in this game, since it isn't as up-front about its scoring mechanics as DoDonPachi, but the messy bullet slop in the second loop seems pretty fun!
    Last edited by Tain; 27 Apr 2020 at 01:58 AM.

9. Oh yeah. Resi 3. I beat that too! I didn't find it nearly as thrilling or interesting as RE2, for a variety of reasons. Certainly a lot of good stuff but in the shadow of 2, I honestly thought they did Mr. X better than Nemesis and it kinda felt more like an expansion pack than a sequel. But it was graciously not-too-long, so I finished it!