Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2020: Back For More Video

1. Thanks, glad I got power back last night!

2. #6 Sonic Wings Special (Saturn)

I never got into the Aero Fighters series, but picked this up on a whim and really liked it a lot. It doesn't do anything special, but the sound effects and shooting action make it feel right. There are a ton of ships to choose from and choose your own stages so there is plenty of replayability. On normal difficulty, it is not overly hard either, really just about right for me.

3. I’ve heard of Sonic Wings, but I’ve never played it. I just ordered a Pseudo Saturn cart on Wednesday, so I can play some of those import games that are a bit too expensive.
    Last edited by gamevet; 08 Aug 2020 at 10:53 AM.

4. 18. Night Slave

This was pretty good. It's a pretty impressive game for the hardware with a lot of independent motion going on in the action stages. Very good mech designs, screen-spanning sprites, mission scenarios, and variety all around. The downsides are some rough edges (I had a few crashes and soft crashes) and unfortunately a lot of the bosses feel like they're built for the player to find an obvious safe spot or bring the right weapon.

It's a way more even game than Leynos even if I wouldn't put it on the same level as Valken.

19. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Dumb plot, but a pretty good game overall. The Prague hub is extremely detailed and you get to learn it like in a Yakuza game. The mechanics don't fix all of Human Revolution's issues, but they do tease more variety out of the player I think, and its a better game for it. The Prague Lockdown stretch was particularly great.

20. Shin Shinobi Den

This one is kind of a shame. It probably has the best core mechanics of the Super Shinobi games: the moveset is awesome, well-utilized (especially by the boss fights), and slightly more balanced than Super Shinobi II, and there's this blue orb system that lets you slowly build lives back up without the game outright letting you do a 1up farming loop.

Unfortunately, though, the zoomed in camera encourages you to creep through the stages at a snail's pace, and a few of the stages (minecart, missile tunnel) seem like they're engineered to utilize the blue orb system to turn the game into an extra-slow slog. The aesthetics are pretty forgettable, too, though the visuals are honestly on the better side when it comes to games that use digitized actors for sprites.

It's the worst game of the three, but definitely worth playing.

5. I did not like Shinobi Legions. The levels seemed a bit drawn out, and there were just way too many levels to complete. I played the Japanese version, as did you, and sold it back to Die Hard Gameclub less than a month after I got it. I only bought the game, because in the summer of 95, there wasn't much to play on the Saturn.

6. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I’ve heard of Sonic Wings, but I’ve never played it. I just ordered a Pseudo Saturn cart on Wednesday, so I can play some of those import games that are a bit too expensive.
    Are you referring to MODE?

7. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Are you referring to MODE?
    Oh no. That requires modding the Saturn's Laser assembly. I do have a backup Saturn though. It’s tempting.

This
    Last edited by gamevet; 09 Aug 2020 at 12:50 PM.

8. Undermine has finally come out of Early Access and released in full, which means they added an endgame boss and a ton of new stuff. I finished my NG+10 run the day before the final version dropped and then took on the final boss so I'm counting this again. Still need to complete a run of the Othermine, which is much more difficult but I'm almost there. This game was great before and they finished it off nicely now.

9. 21. Metal Storm

Fantastic game. The gravity switch is a super elegant mechanic and the game's tight six stages explore it thoroughly, with the later stages and bosses being particularly mind-bending. The difficulty curve is smooth, the mechanical designs are awesome, and the constant parallax is pretty impressive for the hardware. The only thing bad I can say about it are few ugly background layers. Looking forward to playing Expert mode.

10. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Oh no. That requires modding the Saturn's Laser assembly. I do have a backup Saturn though. It’s tempting.

This
    I would just go MODE, it is a pretty simple mod as far as mod goes (just remove the laser assembly and replace with MODE, no soldering required). I am waiting for the next batch since I am wary of their products, especially first revisions.