Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1113141516 LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2020: Back For More Video

1. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Was the 3D effect bad? I would think this game would be perfect for it.
    I tend to turn the controller when I'm turning hard and the screen freaks out.

2. 40. Dezatopia

An STG with a neat weapon setup where you have four extremely distinct weapons that fire in four separate directions out of your ship and a pretty fun shop+invincibility mechanic for getting upgrades and health. Unfortunately the game's focus is more on unlocking alternate routes and less on trying to learn a fixed challenge, so I don't think I'm getting a lot out of it mechanically, but the aesthetics are pretty neat and might be enough reason to keep coming back for all the routes.

3. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I tend to turn the controller when I'm turning hard and the screen freaks out.
    You need the latest 3DS where it does the headtracking!

4. #9 Bad Dudes (Arcade on Wii) - I was messing with the Data East Collection on the Wii and this is the one I couldn't stop playing. I have always liked this beat'em up back in the day. I probably spent a good amount of quarters on this game. It is cheap and I used many credits, but there is no rule I have to 1cc for this list. I enjoyed it.

#10 Alien vs. Predator (Arcade on FB) - I bought this giant (4ft) home-made joystick(s) last week and wanted to test it, and of course I go to one of my favorite beat'em up. For an arcade game, this one isn't that cheap. Lots of mechanics to cover and beating up aliens with Predator is very satisfying! Again I didn't 1cc this like a man, but I am old and slow.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    You need the latest 3DS where it does the headtracking!
    I have the latest, I think. It's the SNES edition.

6. Finally finished Ori 2 the other day. It was pretty good but not a friggin masterpiece people make it out to be. I think my problem with it was the combat just never clicked with me. The sword just seemed too flashy and Ori would get lost in his own attacks. Other than that most everything else was really good.
    Also, the last boss fight can go fuck itself. I killed it but somehow fell into the pit and the game glitched to a black screen and decided to restart me at the beginning of not just the fight but the whole level. Got the achievement for killing the boss too, fuckers.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

7. Can't remember but maybe it was number 5 for the year, started and Platinum'd Astro's Playroom on PS5 in one sitting. That's not to say it was bad, it was actually really fun and I wanted more of it, it was just super short and easy. Which I guess was probably the point, show off some stuff about the controller and give PS-ychos a chance to look at all the old hardware while being flashy and cool. Very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

I've also beat Demon's Souls (remake) 3 times now, I'm one ring and one spell away from the Platinum and ONE Ceramic Coin away from the Top Secret area and armor set. They really upgraded this game in the best way possible, it's been an absolute delight.

8. #11 Ninja Baseball Bat Man

I fixed my 4 player mame stick (reversed directional wiring) and played through NBBM with my 6yr old. Took many many credits as the game is cheap as balls, especially the bosses. Still a fun play through. Onto other beat'em ups.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Can't remember but maybe it was number 5 for the year, started and Platinum'd Astro's Playroom on PS5 in one sitting. That's not to say it was bad, it was actually really fun and I wanted more of it, it was just super short and easy. Which I guess was probably the point, show off some stuff about the controller and give PS-ychos a chance to look at all the old hardware while being flashy and cool. Very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

I've also beat Demon's Souls (remake) 3 times now, I'm one ring and one spell away from the Platinum and ONE Ceramic Coin away from the Top Secret area and armor set. They really upgraded this game in the best way possible, it's been an absolute delight.
    Fuck you for playing this and I can’t. That is all.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

10. 41. Etrian Odyssey

I'm generally not into traditional JRPGs, but Etrian Odyssey's aesthetics and scenario were big draws for me. I love the way the opening forest stratum looks. The enemy sprites are gorgeous, the bosses are huge and menacing, and Yuzo Koshiro's soundtrack perfectly hops between hot-blooded combat and cautious wonder. The exposition is is terse, and I didn't expect the question of what was going on at the bottom of the labyrinth to be such a burning one for me.

Etrian's probably most known for encouraging the player to draw a map on the bottom screen. It's a solid novelty at first and kind of fades into the background once you get the hang of it, but for the more challenging stretches of the game you really do feel like your map is a better indicator of progress than your stats. The FOE system (map-visible enemies that take a step when you do) is cooler to me: it's a blast to learn to maneuver around them and measure out when you should fight versus when you should run. There's one particular area in the game where the FOE interactions are put into the forefront and random battles are disabled entirely, and I can't help but wonder if the game would be better if it were balanced around this being the norm.

The combat is traditional as hell, but it does a really good job of making me pay attention. Even when you're feeling comfortable level-wise, the numbers always seem to play out in a way where you can't phone in even the random encounters. It strikes me as pretty tightly balanced.

Even given that, unfortunately, I still think this game is far longer than it needs to be and the random battles are the reason. While I was generally felt like I was at the levels the game expected me to be at, I'd still occasionally hit that uncertainty and felt that I had to grind (be it due to fleeing too much or choosing bad skills), and even when that wasn't the case, the combat can only remain so appealing once you've dialed in a specific tactic. I know the sequels brought in some changes that let you get through the combat faster, but I have to wonder if there isn't a better way.

The post-credits stuff seems beefy, but I think I have to tap out here.