Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 467891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2020: Back For More Video

1. 16. HORIZON VANGUARD

it's incredibly corny for me to list this but it _is_ a video game that i beat. Learned so much from working on this over the years, very proud of it, very excited to finally release it, and I don't see game development ever getting old.

2. Completing development of a game should definitely count, too!
    Congratulations.

3. I played through Life is Strange 2 in about a week. As a whole, I liked the first one but it didn't get truely good until Episode 4 where the main mystery took off and you got to investegate. That lead into another great chapter in Episode 5 where the sum of the parts lead to an interesting and satisfying ending. I was engaged with 2 much faster, even if it feels like a much more linear experience (there's no mystery to solve, it's all about moving place to place).

LiS 2 takes place in the same world, but with a completely different cast (there are a couple of nods to events in 1 scattered around). The main character is Sean Diaz, who you control the whole game and his younger brother Daniel. A tramautic event reveals that Dan has telekenesis powers and the whole game has you navigating the brothers across the country in search of safety and a new life.

This story grabbed me much faster than the first game and it's successful in that I felt like I had to do my best in keeping my little brother safe. I think it took me about 15 hours. It's good that the story pulled me through because the gameplay is about as barebones as you can get. This is very much a choose your own adventure game that has less interaction than the Walking Dead series by TellTale (there are very few QTE action sequences in this).

I knew that's what it was going to be like and it's the experience I was looking for, so I have nothing to complain about there. It looks much better than the original, the writing is generally excellent and the soundtrack ain't too shabby either. My only complaint production wise is that that actor for Sean has two gears: normal speech and I'm about to cry. There's nothing between those two emotions.

There's much more diversity in people, locations, and situations in this one. The characters you meet along the journey was my favorite part...trying to figure out who you can trust/how much you can trust and genuine disappointment when you have to leave people behind is probably the game's greatest achievement. Having written a book that follows this general story structure and theme of there's more good than bad in the world probably made me more inclined to get invested in this than the average person.

I loved the ending I got and was pretty bummed that my time with the brothers was over. There are quite a few choices I'd like to do differently (especially in Episode 2), judging by the stats at the end of each episode, your decisions at major points changes quite a lot. I like what DontNod does, makes me want to check out Before the Storm, which I ignored when it released.

4. 10) Battle Squadron (Amiga)
    Cleared two loops and then stopped.

11) Aragami (PS4)
    A stealth game with a ghost ninja, Aragami is a bit like Tenchu and Dishonored rolled into one. There is a Blink mechanic, and death-from-above kills. You pick up scrolls and save them to buy new skills like Kage (makes Aragami invisible), Banmoku (locates some enemies, not all), and Shadow Vanish which makes dead enemies disappear. Even better is the Shadow Kill which summons a dragon to consume your enemy, and gives you back a use of the currently equipped special technique. Kage can be upgraded to muffle your movement, even if you run. While I found the one-hit deaths annoying at first, I stuck with it and the game grew on me. Lince Works even gives a special thanks to From Software in the credits. The one downer is that the PS4 suffers occasional frame drops and tearing on a game that it should be able to handle perfectly.

5. PS4

Borderlands 3
    Rise of the Tomb Raider

Two games that have stuck to their respective formulas - I think Borderlands is definitely starting to get stale but TR is always a blast to play. On to Shadow of the TR next.

6. 11) The Last of Us Part II

I've done enough discussion in the main thread, and the very nature of talking about it right now is going to be so heavy with spoilers that this isn't the place. What I will say is that the game play is better than the first, the story and world are incredible and the visuals are the best of the generation. Naughty Dog finished this generation with a complete masterpiece.

7. 1) Dungeons & Dragons: Shadows over Mystara (360) Hell yeah! Nothing better than old school Capcom beat em ups
    Send me your email if you have Real ID or your BattleTag I'm always online playing Blizzard games.

8. 17. Dishonored 2

Played on Very Hard. Like the original, this is a game that feels like it really wants the player to sneak. Results screens, tooltips, and slight narrative consequences reflect this, yet it also has all of these combat abilities (including a lot of starting player actions) that are insanely powerful and way more fun than the game's stealth mechanics. Using force pull to impale enemies or pull them into electrified rails, using the insanely powerful pistol to break doors and get slow-motion headshots, parrying everything under the sun, and so on make for a pretty fun (albeit easy) Terminator simulator. The narrative was pretty unappealing to me, but there's a little bit of neat flexibility to it. Also gotta note a really cool and fairly tough puzzle at one point in the game that allows you to bypass a huge chunk if you sit there and sort it out.

I think it's a big improvement over the first game, for sure, even if it isn't up there with genre favorites. I'll probably play Death of the Outsider?

18. Assault Suit Leynos

Finally played the original. This is a really uneven one, honestly. The player's mech has a bit of a weighty feel, and you can kinda tell that it's a first step toward Valken. The mechanical designs are really cool and generally well-realized as sprites for a 1990 MD game. The music rules, and the scenarios in the stages are varied and dramatic.

Unfortunately the flooding enemy spawns, regenerating health, and certain objective-based stages drag the game down a bit. So often the game feels totally inconsistent in terms of how many enemies you'll face and of what kinds, to the point where I didn't really feel like I was learning stages at all. On top of that you're often incentivized to wait around, either while your health slowly regenerates or for some internal mission timer to run out. Mission 3 is the worst of all of it: you're compelled to go wreck a large enemy warship for points toward equipment unlocks, but actually fighting the thing involves dealing with extremely amorphous enemy spawns and you'll have to tediously hit-and-run a ton to make sure you don't get steamrolled. It's a really sloppy feeling overall, and I'm thankful that Valken is so fundamentally different in its design.

Interestingly, there's a trick where if you destroy the stage 1 objective without destroying any other enemies, you unlock all the gear in the game early. I did this once and think the game has a much better pace when played that way, lol.

I'm not big on games getting remade in general, but I'll say that this game's flaws made it an ideal candidate for one. The Dracue game is far better.
    Last edited by Tain; 27 Jul 2020 at 12:49 PM.

9. #5 Death Stranding (PS4)

This game really hit a note with me. Maybe it is because of the pandemic (and coincidentally, I lost power the last couple of days from the tropical storm) that a game about connecting with people from a broken world just makes so much sense. I know reductionists will say it is literally just a game where you do fetch quests, and they would be right. Yet, there is so much more with interacting asynchronously with other online players and literally building a better infrastructure for everyone within the game world. As I mentioned before, this game is a contradiction and the biggest one is that the game is pretty much devoid of combat, yet at key junctures (i.e. endings), it force you to fight stupid bosses that just seem so out of place. The WW2 flashback sequences are dumb as hell (although cool to look at) and fighting those BT monsters in tar is the very opposite of fun.

Besides that, the other major annoyance is all the stupid little cut scenes (that you can skip, but still) for every little thing that you do. It just wastes a lot of player's time. Other than that, I loved everything about the game. The story, the music, the environment, and just how the game slowly teaches you how to scale the steepest mountains toward the end game. I discovered all the secret locations and 5 star all of them after just over 100 hours. Yet, I cannot recommend this because I feel like it was deeply personal and other might not like the pureness of it.

10. It's good to see that you're doing well. Tonight's newscast reported about 3 million homes are without power.