Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 212141516

Thread: Completion Thread 2020: Back For More Video

1. #12 Demon's Souls Remake (PS5)

I finally finished my first souls game. I love everything about this remake. It is more accessible, especially the first world where they give you plenty of health. I do wish the game gives you more hints on how to unlock certain things or upgrade your weapon, but that is a small gripe. I cheesed the final boss because it can be fun breaking the game. I don't think I will finish it 2 more times like Pineapple, I rather play something new after 50+ hours.

2. 14) Serious Sam 4 (PC)
    Another Serious Sam with everything you'd expect: dozens of enemies attacking at once, screaming Kamikazes, a good selection of weapons featuring miniguns and a cannon, and of course Sam's one-liners. Serious Sam 4 adds side quests with a gadget or a powerful weapon as the reward. One of my favorite new ones is the FRPCL (flaming rocket propelled chainsaw launcher). The ammo for it is rare, but it's BFG levels of powerful.
    You can dual wield weapons after you select the perk on the skill tree. Now you can mix and match, or carry two cannons, but you give up the alt-fire while doing this. New to the enemy roster are drone swarms, the kalopsy (a flying brain with a mouth), the Pyromaniac (lobs fireballs from a distance to set the ground on fire around you, or flies in to roast you personally- his weak point is the fuel tank on his back), and armored Zealots that charge you with sledgehammers (they have to be hit from behind or blown up with an explosive).
    Some of the gadgets are a black hole bomb, a quick health boost, and also a gas that confuses enemies causing them to wildly attack each other. It's another solid entry in the series.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    #12 Demon's Souls Remake (PS5)

I finally finished my first souls game. I love everything about this remake. It is more accessible, especially the first world where they give you plenty of health. I do wish the game gives you more hints on how to unlock certain things or upgrade your weapon, but that is a small gripe. I cheesed the final boss because it can be fun breaking the game. I don't think I will finish it 2 more times like Pineapple, I rather play something new after 50+ hours.
    Fuck you too.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

4. 42. Pilotwings

Beat this a while back, ah well. A generally chill game that serves as a good technological showcase for the Super Famicom while taking you through challenges based around learning the various vehicles in the game. I get that some people find this to be a kind of bland scenario, but I think it's pretty charming. The difficulty ramps up at the end maybe to a point where the mechanics don't really hold up, but the front side is at least totally worth it.

43. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

An absurd visual novel that slams together a million sci-fi tropes and somehow makes it engaging and functional. Everything is delivered through seriously unbelievable Vanillaware visuals and lightly peppered with some strategy scenes. The strategy layer is extremely simple but the variety is welcome.

44. Super Mario 64

I love Mario 64's aesthetic. There's something fun as hell about the CG-ness of it all, like you can feel the joy of some artists learning primitive DCC software by making marble-swirl spiders and puffy trees. The mileage that the environments get out of such a simple pool of textures is incredible, and the top-tier soundtrack elevates it all. The N64 is geared for bluriness in a way that this game perfectly exploits and that harmony breaks down quickly as you crank up the resolution.

The game's pretty frontloaded with exploration as it tries to teach the player the 3D fundamentals, and then it later does a decent job laying on mechanical challenges until it culminates in basically the super abstract and platform-heavy Rainbow Ride. It's a less consistent game than 3D World and Odyssey of course, and the challenging parts don't reach the heights of those, but it's still a good time.

One thing I wanted to touch on regarding the camera (which is serviceable) is that I think its biggest issue is that it's too complex. There are a million camera options here, but a simple "center behind Mario" button would have solved nearly all of them. Instead Lakitu follows too many rules for that and sometimes flat-out refuses to go where you want.
    Last edited by Tain; 03 Jan 2021 at 09:25 PM.

5. I think that Pilot Wings 64 provides the experience that Pilot Wings was trying to do. It really is a showcase title for the N64.

6. I don't think the series ever really improved on the SNES game. The helicopter levels were like a tech demo for the awesome chopper game we could have had on SNES.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I don't think the series ever really improved on the SNES game. The helicopter levels were like a tech demo for the awesome chopper game we could have had on SNES.
    How far did you play the N64 game? There's a hang glider, where you look for rising air currents to lift your glider up. There's the rocket pack, where you can fly through your 3D environment to meet goals. And who can forget getting shot out of a human cannon to hit targets far away. The hang gliding is pretty cool, because you can explore the entire island, without a care in the world.

8. I never owned it, but I remember trying out all of the vehicles. It wasn't bad or anything, but I thought it was a step back in some ways. I didn't really like the music or general aesthetic as much as the original, and like most N64 games, it kind of chugs along. I haven't played the 3DS game, to be fair, and I would like to try it out at some point since it seems a lot more playable.