Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 68910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2020: Back For More Video

1. Sakura Wars

This was, for the most part, a worthy revival of the series. I really liked the graphical style and the little Persona-style areas to explore, and the world feels a lot more alive. The combat is pretty mediocre, though it never frustrated me, like I read in some reviews. If anything it was insultingly easy and I don't think I died once. But that kind of squares with the strategy bits in the early games, which were both easy and not very entertaining. I still would have preferred an evolved version of the later games, though, maybe something like Valkyria Chronicles.

The game also feels creepier/hornier than past titles in a way that is off-putting. There are seemingly countless scenes where Kamiyama dramatically angsts over whether or not to peep on girls in the bath or dressing room; these scenes existed in the old games but they were far fewer, a lot less "missable" and maybe felt less absurd for lack animation. I also didn't like that this one really tries to make Sakura seem like the "correct" choice to the point where choosing anyone else felt weird.

2. Frog, how long did it take you to finish SW? I am ready to jump into another game but don't want it to be too long.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Frog, how long did it take you to finish SW? I am ready to jump into another game but don't want it to be too long.
    It doesn't have a play clock, but I'd guess around 20 hours. Pretty average. It felt a little short for a SW game, even, though that's probably more because it doesn't have the false ending/third act thing.

4. Seems like the right length for me, thanks.

5. 22. Stormland

Lots of polish, great visuals, and a ton of cool core mechanics and unlockable abilities. Unfortunately, there's no structure to it. It's a bunch of randomized outposts, which could be fun, but there's barely a curve to the enemy difficulty and the encounters are pretty trivial. This would rule if they built something more structured on top of it.

23. Front Mission: Gun Hazard

This was surprising, but also disappointing in that I can't shake what I WANT it to be.

The core mech mechanics directly follow up on Assault Suits Valken. You have a distinctly chunky jump. You struggle with your hover jets. Dashing is fun as hell. The punch attack is super crunchy. The shield is good but has limited coverage. You can tear up the environment as you try to finely aim and miss. And it even excels Valken aesthetically (making it an absolute top-tier Super Famicom game in this department) thanks to a mix of tons of excellent mech designs, moody backgrounds, cool Amano character designs, and some unique and tasteful visual effects. Even the soundtrack is like a alternate take on Final Fantasy VI.

Unfortunately, the game is held back by its structure. Between all the enemies, environments, and awesome boss fights, you could make an absolutely KILLER 2-hour long linear action game out of all of this. One that would dethrone Valken for sure. Instead, Gun Hazard is a 15-20 hour long trek through a node-based world map, having you level up and purchase gear through scattered short battle scenes. The narrative is delivered through a TON of dialogue and is honestly kinda neat, but I'd trade it for a more focused game in a heartbeat.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    22. Stormland

Lots of polish, great visuals, and a ton of cool core mechanics and unlockable abilities. Unfortunately, there's no structure to it. It's a bunch of randomized outposts, which could be fun, but there's barely a curve to the enemy difficulty and the encounters are pretty trivial. This would rule if they built something more structured on top of it.
    I don't know that I would say it's that polished,there are rough points. I really liked this game, but I feel like it was pushed out a couple months early and left to die post-release, since Insomniac was sold to Sony who obviously have no interest in supporting PC exclusive VR titles.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I don't know that I would say it's that polished,there are rough points. I really liked this game, but I feel like it was pushed out a couple months early and left to die post-release, since Insomniac was sold to Sony who obviously have no interest in supporting PC exclusive VR titles.
    You're right, I think I just meant to call it nice-looking instead of polished. I ran into a couple nasty bugs and the whole thing does feel cut short, yeah.

8. Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4) - another great addition to the series. On to Outer Worlds.

9. 24. Killer7

Definitely an engaging game. It's thoroughly stylish, the visuals are still super-unique, and the narrative is pretty entertaining if only due to how stubbornly nonsense it is. The mechanics are a nice mix of action and puzzle: the former is largely about finding a safe spot and trying to pinpoint-aim a wavering gun (like Biohazard 4) and has a surprising amount of variety between the Smith's abilities and the wide range of enemy types, and the latter is the usual classic RE/Silent Hill fare. The game's genuinely funny at times, too. I'd say it's just a little bit too long, but that shouldn't stop anyone.

10. 25. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

This is probably as good as anyone could hope for. Everything related to the core skating mechanics and camera is spot-on and you can tell that VV has the original game logic running under the hood for these things. Things look excellent without being unreadable. The soundtrack is a perfect mix of old tracks and well-selected new ones. You can play everything with the default THPS3-style moveset or, should you choose, limit yourself to THPS1 or THPS2 abilities (leaderboards for these modes specifically would be cool). Local split-screen multiplayer wasn't axed. All the new stuff has a surprising amount of personality of its own: bailing and respawning now comes with glitch-effect trappings, NPC cars now drift cartoonishly all over the place, and the stages have fundamental cosmetic reworkings beyond "make 'em HD" (like the mall now being an abandoned ruin).

Still dumb that you can't buy the original games on modern platforms.