Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 101213141516 LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2020: Back For More Video

1. Last of Us, Part II - this series should just be the blueprint for story telling in a video game. Fantastic game.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    36. Shadow of the Beast

Original Amiga release. Wasn't at all expecting this to be a tough no-continues game! Super cool music, lots of cool environments, wildly inconsistent monster designs that range from awesome to incredibly stupid, and I think the light touch of nonlinearity rules. It's not rock-solid mechanically, but the huge amount of monster variety and the relatively short length makes it extremely memorable, so you can pretty easily keep track of what monsters have the weirdo hitboxes, which spurts of randomization are the most dangerous, and so on. Combine that with a really satisfying punch attack and some clever gauntlets and it's a good time.
    That game frustrates the shit out of me. You had things like the spike coming out of the ground and then areas where your literally timing punches like Kung Fu master as a whole group comes at you at once.

3. Quote Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
    Last of Us, Part II - this series should just be the blueprint for story telling in a video game. Fantastic game.
    The story was fantastic but I found the actual game to be kinda boring. I was playing just to progress the story. I was also playing at night and kept falling asleep during gameplay.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

4. 13) XIII (2020 remake, PC)
    I'm somewhat disappointed with Microids/PlayMagic's remake of XIII. The comic book style of the original is toned down, and the new look is a bit too Fortnite-ish. Boss fights lack challenge. Unlike the original, you'll have to give up your 9mm silenced pistol if you want to take a 44 Magnum or an Uzi. There is mouse acceleration and you can't disable it, which makes the aiming feel janky. Death animations look like they're capped at 30 FPS. The AI is bad.

The PS4 version gives you more glitches for the extra $10, with character models sometimes getting FUBAR, and frequent crashing. The framerate tanks horribly at times even on a PS4 Pro and the screen tearing is maddening. Whether it's for PC or PS4, don't be in a rush to buy this just yet. Wait until they patch it. Microids has issued a statement apologizing for their remake being a bit subpar. It seems like they released this too early.
    Last edited by gameoverDude; 25 Nov 2020 at 12:10 AM. Reason: typo corrected.

5. 38. The Scheme

Alright-to-good PC88 free-roaming action platformer. The Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack rules and some of the art is really cool, but the environments are a little bland. The mechanics are straightforward and pretty functional, but you'll have to do some mapping on your own and you'll run into a couple questionable hangup points. It ends with a pretty sick boss fight at least.

6. #8 Star Fox 64

I was testing a N64 controller I just bought and ended up playing through one of the paths of SF64. I never finished it back in the day, and I am not sure why since the game is pretty short and sweet. I need to go back to getting the good ending though.

7. I tried to play that in 3D mode on the 3DS. What a horrible idea that was.

8. Was the 3D effect bad? I would think this game would be perfect for it.

9. 39. Vertigo Remastered

Another solid VR singleplayer FPS. Like Boneworks it feels like a budget version of what would become Half-Life: Alyx, but it's far more comfortable and varied than Boneworks. Vertigo 2 should be something special.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Was the 3D effect bad? I would think this game would be perfect for it.
    I have it, I thought the 3d was really good.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"