Thread: This Month's haul: February 2020

1. This Month's haul: February 2020

Somebody had to start it.

I was checking out the PC section of Target, when I'd notide that they had the Razaor Death Adder Elite on sale for $30. It was marked down $40. I think I got my old one about 4 years ago for $60 and I've had to crack it open twice to grease the left mouse button. I used white grease the second time, and it seems to have done the trick, but I couldn't pass up on this slightly improved model.

You can't see the Razor logo on the old mouse, when the light turns off. The new mouse has 2 switches behind the wheel, that allows you to adjust the dpi.

Best Buy warehouse is also selling these for $25 ($30 after shipping) on ebay.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 08 Feb 2020 at 07:25 PM.

2. That's a good price. Razer gets a lot of shit for bad quality, but my Deathadder mouse has worked fine for years. However, I bought the non-backlit version of the Deathstalker keyboard at the same time, and that thing became mushy and unresponsive within a year. The backlit version of that keyboard has been great, though. I don't know what the difference is, since they both just use rubber dome keys, but there's a huge difference in feel and reliability.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    That's a good price. Razer gets a lot of shit for bad quality, but my Deathadder mouse has worked fine for years. However, I bought the non-backlit version of the Deathstalker keyboard at the same time, and that thing became mushy and unresponsive within a year. The backlit version of that keyboard has been great, though. I don't know what the difference is, since they both just use rubber dome keys, but there's a huge difference in feel and reliability.
    Yeah, you want the keyboards with mechanical switches. Those $50 Razor keyboards are garbage and you can get a decent mechanical keyboard from another manufacturer for a little more money.

I have BlackWidow 2013 Ultimate keyboard. It has has Cherry Brown (?) switches.

Last edited by gamevet; 08 Feb 2020 at 07:52 PM.

4. The browner the cherry, the sweeter the juice, I suppose.
    If I'm going to go for the clickity-clack, though, I want the Unicomp PC122 buckling spring keyboard.

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UB40B5A

Click for full size
    Last edited by kedawa; 08 Feb 2020 at 07:59 PM.

5. It's actually Cherry MX Blue. I just looked it up.

Holy 80's, that keyboard. It looks like something you'd see on the ship from Aliens, or Battlestar Galactica.

6. Quit your grinnin' and drop your linen!

7. It's just what I thought it was. It's based on the design of the old IBM keyboard technology.

This guy has a very soothing voice. It sounds somewhat like the tone of Morgan Freeman.

I've had these old keyboards for longer than I can remember. I think the top one I had with a crappy old 286 clone back in 2000, which I ended up getting rid of, but kept the keyboard that feels very much like the old IBM. The Compac one isn't quite as tactile, but I keep it around for an old XP computer I have sitting in the closet.

Last edited by gamevet; 09 Feb 2020 at 03:05 PM.

8. Ah, that 80's plastic. Kids of the future are going to think we loved piss-stain yellow so much.

9. My cool guy mechanical keyboard just started buggin' out a few days ago.

10. Big Best Buy sale on Switch games physically - so I got Enter the Gungeon for $16, Dead Cells for $20, and Victor Vran for $8 thanks to GCU. Also grabbed an 8bitdo SN30+ Pro, which BBY now sells in the PC department - so I somehow missed that at work until the past week, but grabbed it since it's pretty inexpensive and works perfectly on PC wirelessly and a bit less perfectly on Switch since you can't wake the system up with it. It will be so worth the money when the Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection hits.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan