Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreams (PS4) - The YouTube of Games?

1. Dreams (PS4) - The YouTube of Games?

So, Media Molecule's long-awaited, long delayed ultimate Create-Play-Share vehicle is finally out.

This has been a difficult one for Sony, marketing-wise, and I don't think they've quite nailed it, because they've still sort of been marketing it like a game, and it's not really. If Sony had any sense, they'd be giving this title to everyone with a PSN account or packing it in with PS5. It's got insanely unlimited potential, but doesn't make a lot of sense to monetize through traditional disc sales.

Dreams is a platform; It's a self-contained suite of content creation tools, an egine, and social platform for collaboration, sharing, and discovery. It lets you create and share games, and then remix and expand the work of others. It isn't Mario Maker, it's Mario Maker Maker.

There have been plenty of super-moddable games before, and even attempts at an "everything" game creator like Project Spark, but Dreams gets a lot of small things right that are really game changing and give me a lot more confidence in its future as a platform.

• First, this game gets collaboration right. You can pull assets from other people's games, or remix or expand them. You don't just collaborate with friends, you can combine the efforts of hundreds of people into your work, and they get credited automatcially. There's no monetization, no asset market, no DLC. And there isn't a need for these things because, unlike Project Spark, the asset creation tools are robust enough to get real work done and simple enough to get a lot of it done efficiently.
    • Getting into and out of games is practically instantaneous. To be the YouTube of games, there has to be zero friction. You don't need to download games, load times are a couple seconds at most. This means you can hop around from game to game with no attention span, just like YouTube and that is game-changing.
    • ALL the tools you need are in the game itself, and they're adequate. From composing music, to creating models, to recording voiceover, it's all there, no need to import outside assets. And while they do seem oriented towards a sort of impressionistic style shown in MM's work, it's impressive how users have pushed them to work with a wide range of styles, including some that are quite realistic.
    • Gamification of tutorials - The tools here a lot. It's overwhelming to jump into trying to make a game from the ground up, but Dreams offers a fun campaign of tutorials to teach you how to use its tools. And it lets you make a variety of content, from animations, to static sets to walk around, to full-ass games, which also helps to make things less intimidating.

So this is the thread. Anyone else playing/creating, or see anything worth checking out?
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 23 Feb 2020 at 11:07 AM.

2. That video was fucking terrible. You did a much better job of explaining what this is. Comparing it to YouTube seems to be the best way to illustrate what they're going for in terms of content, community, and functionality...Dreams will probably produce a lot of interesting, innovative stuff but probably just as much garbage (just like, well...YouTube). Looking forward to trying it. And I totally agree that it should be a pack-in.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    That video was fucking terrible. You did a much better job of explaining what this is. Comparing it to YouTube seems to be the best way to illustrate what they're going for in terms of content, community, and functionality...Dreams will probably produce a lot of interesting, innovative stuff but probably just as much garbage (just like, well...YouTube). Looking forward to trying it. And I totally agree that it should be a pack-in.
    Right, you don't go to YouTube because you want to watch stuff with HBO-level production values, and I don't think Dreams is gonna create the next God of War or Spiderman, but YouTube democratized video creation and there's a lot of great content there, even if it's simpler, shorter attention span content. I think this will be like that. Already there are some games that are really clever and fun on their own terms.

Sony does not really understand how to market this thing. But it's also the kind of thing that is by nature a slow burn so hopefully it can grow over time on word of mouth.

4. I wound up picking this up last night and while I don't know how much time I'll spend on the surfing part, the creation tools are REALLY impressive from what I tried. The tutorials are good, and it really feels like half a decade of work went into cramming a robust modern game development pipeline down into the most accessible form possible. It even has a couple features I wish UE4 had out of the box, heh.

This is, like, exactly what I wish 10 year old me had access to.

5. I have no desire to make anything but the idea seems really interesting. Also, the video is terrible and I would have been so confused had I not read Frog's OP first.

6. I hope it does well enough to get a PC port.

7. Yeah the marketing is pretty unfortunate. I don't think Sony truly gets what they have on their hands yet. But what they have is revolutionary and I think it'll be undeniable in time.

Like I said, Dreams isn't gonna give us the next God of War, but it might well give use the next Celeste. I think people will keep this thing relevant as really interesting content emerges.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 18 Feb 2020 at 11:30 PM.

8. Some of these community games are already looking pretty polished. This one especially stood out to me.

This is like HitRecord but for video games. It's a super cool idea.

10. Is HitRecord the YouTube of music?
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!